Easiest way to text international friends without a local number?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by fuzzybabybunny, Nov 3, 2012.

1. fuzzybabybunny

fuzzybabybunny Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras

Is there some way to text message with international friends? I have a sim card but it is only used for data, not for voice or texting. Besides, when I leave the country I wont have the international numberanyway. I can't text internationally with Google voice and I don't think they can text an American number either. Besides email, is there a way to conveniently text either other Most have iPhones so I don't think googletalk works for them.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Easiest text international Forum Date
    Favorite Android texting app? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Feb 10, 2017
    Easiest to use android media player and preferred video format? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 27, 2015
    easiest, safest and reversible jailbreak for verizon iphone 4s Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jul 4, 2014
    Easiest way to get all contacts from one phone to another. Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 20, 2013
    Easiest GS4 root? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Aug 25, 2013

3. msh

msh Junior Member

For real (sms) texting there are no good ways to do it that are not country specific.

For alternatives whatsapp or viber could be used (I think they have got security under control).

4. nickbits

nickbits Diamond Member

Whatsapp is popular...

5. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

There is a twitter technology. Google it.

6. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

My wife uses KakaoTalk app and she seems to like it. It's cross compatible with iOS, Android, Blackberry, and WP.

7. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

iMessage? If all of you are using iPhones. I think it works internationally, but my sure.

8. s44

s44 Diamond Member

There are google talk apps for every platform... But I do like the twitter DM idea.

Kakao is very big in Korea, dunno about Chinese folks though.

9. zaydq

zaydq Senior member

I know whatsapp is popular among the people i know.

10. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Whatsapp is huge in Asia. I would get on that. All my fob friends use it.

11. ThatsABigOne

ThatsABigOne Diamond Member

12. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

why does the OP have so many elementary questions about mobile phones? it's kinda troubling

13. EvilYoda

EvilYoda Lifer

Whatsapp and Viber, now that the latter has expanded their app's abilities.

Everybody I know in Taiwan has and uses Whatsapp. (I wish everybody here would too so we could stop using fucking SMS)

14. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

Why not? If they have to install another app anyway, it's just as easy to install Beejive or imo as it is to install whatsapp.

For the record, I agree with what everybody else have mentioned (whatsapp, etc). I'm just curious about this particular statement.

15. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

I think fewer people leave their IM app on push 24/7 whereas Android users typically have gtalk on 24/7. It's no longer just a work chat thing people do by having gmail secretly open. It's now the best way to get ahold of them on their phone besides texting.

You have to admit Gtalk is treated a little differently on the iPhone.

16. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

My point was: his friends are going to have to install a special app on their iPhones anyway, regardless if it's GTalk via Beejive/IM+/imo, or Whatsapp/Kakao/etc.

I'm thinking the OP either:
    1. doesn't realize that you can have GTalk on iPhones, or
    2. doesn't realize that for this particular usage his friends will need to install a special instant messaging program on their iPhones (and keep them on push 24/7)

At the end of the day I think it really doesn't matter what we think is better (or how 'big' something is in Asia or whatever). If the OP's friends don't want to bother installing some strange app that they only need to communicate with him, it's not going to work. My suggestion is for the OP to ask his friends what *they* are using for cross platform messaging, and install that on his android phone.

17. Bman123

Bman123 Diamond Member

You have a bunch of options, just dig around and find one that works best for you.

18. 3chordcharlie

3chordcharlie Diamond Member

This.

Also, for whatever reason, iOS is the only platform that does not have a one-year free trial from whatsapp. At least it didn't in August. Charging $0.99 (i.e. - next to nothing) is a surprisingly effective way to stop people from using your app.