Easiest way to remove screws

nycdude

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Hi all,

I was trying to install baby gates to the banister via a installation kit. I was attaching a piece of wood next to the banister to secure it. One head snapped off and the other screw just keeps spinning letting me to believe the head broke off also.

What is the easiest way to remove wood screws if the head come off the screw??? I drilled it in and the head snapped off. I think the screw was too long for the job I needed it for. I will get shorter ones going forward but I got 2 in there now.

Any advice.

Thanks

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, that's goin to be pretty tough. You might have to see if you can whittle some wood away, and then grab the end with a pair of pliers...

I also recommend stronger screws. They shouldn't be breaking, even if they're too long for the job.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
You might have to see if you can whittle some wood, and then grab the end with a pair of pliers

That's all you can do imho.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
may want to just leave them in. If they're near the surface, countersink them with a hammer and blunt nail. I suggest pre drilling the holes to prevent the screws from seeing so much resistance.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Snapster
You might have to see if you can whittle some wood, and then grab the end with a pair of pliers

That's not a direct quote! :p

Aug 23, 2000
if the screws were that weak, get a small drill bit and drillinto the screw, it will either break it up or alloy you to reverese the drill and back them out.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Snapster

That's not a direct quote! :p

Accidentally left one word out during the edit lol, nice observation........

And an indirect quote is the best you'll get ;)

:D

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
There's these little bits called screw extractors, sized like 1-7, but I don't know how they are used. :)

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eagle
There's these little bits called screw extractors, sized like 1-7, but I don't know how they are used. :)
Don't think they would work for a wood screw, they're generally for bolts.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Go to sears and get a stripped head extractor. You could also maybe try an Impact driver.

nycdude

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I kinda figure that I may be SOL. Thought I'd ask anyway.

I will leave it in for now but when I eventually gotta take it off down the road, the plier trick or the countersink and wood putty may be the way to go.

Barrak

Jan 8, 2001
I have Craftsman Screw Outs they would work in this situation if you get the correct size. They are basicly a reversed bit that will bite into the metal. To use them you must have a reversable drill, just press hard and go slow and you should be able to get them out.

shekondar

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Next time, rub soap on the screws before screwing them in - the soap lubricates the threads and makes them go in a lot easier!

nycdude

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Barrak
I have Craftsman Screw Outs they would work in this situation if you get the correct size. They are basicly a reversed bit that will bite into the metal. To use them you must have a reversable drill, just press hard and go slow and you should be able to get them out.

I don't think these work when the whole top head is off the screw but I was checking out the sears site and these may work.

Look at this

Thoughts
Thanks

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
All effective methods of extraction have been mentioned.

1. If enough of the screw is sticking out, you can use some pliers to firmly grasp the remaining threads and back it out....

2. Use a small drill bit to drill through the center of the screw. Just be careful to center the bit so you drill the screw and not the wood.

3. They make screws that have backward threads to remove screws and bolts, but I doubt the screws are big enough to use one of these. They work best on larger bolts that strip off. You can go to Home Depot, Lowes, or another hardware supply store and they'll show you the products they have to offer for this....it'd be best to take on of your screws with you for size comparison.

Furthermore, if the hardware is that cheap, I would consider taking the baby gate back to the store and complain. Get a refund and buy a different brand.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
How big is the screw itself? You could try slotting it with a Dremel and using a screwdriver, but it sounds like they're too small for that to work.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
All effective methods of extraction have been mentioned.

1. If enough of the screw is sticking out, you can use some pliers to firmly grasp the remaining threads and back it out....

2. Use a small drill bit to drill through the center of the screw. Just be careful to center the bit so you drill the screw and not the wood.

3. They make screws that have backward threads to remove screws and bolts, but I doubt the screws are big enough to use one of these. They work best on larger bolts that strip off. You can go to Home Depot, Lowes, or another hardware supply store and they'll show you the products they have to offer for this....it'd be best to take on of your screws with you for size comparison.

Furthermore, if the hardware is that cheap, I would consider taking the baby gate back to the store and complain. Get a refund and buy a different brand.

Could always just tear down the whole wall (or at least the drywall) and put up a new one.

;)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If you are talking woodscrews almost all can be easily broken if you hit a metal stud or concrete. That assuming you are using realistic sizes for home use (1/4" shank or less).