Earwax buildup problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Originally posted by: mattpegher
Candling (or using a narrow cone of bee's wax to remove the wax via suction as the end of the candle is burned) is an old remedy but requires someone who has experience in the technique.
If you want to pay some back alley quack for the 'procedure', that is your business; just don't go spreading the sham around to people that don't know any better.

I aint selling. It the story is meant to discourage its use.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Most importantly though unless you figure out a way to look into your own ear, you can never be sure whether the problem really is wax. If pain accompanies a clogged feeling then your better served seeing your doctor to have it checked out.

Oh, and if you ever decide to flush your own ear, make sure the water is close to body temperature or just a touch warmer. Too warm or too cold and you will feel like your spinning. Often severely.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Don't knock candles until you have tried them. Cleans out my sinuses REALLY well. Even when it doesn't "work" it is incredibly relaxing.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Originally posted by: keeleysam
Then use Q-tips. They don't hurt 95% of the people who use them.

My doctor says they shouldn't be used. While effective somewhat, they also push the remaining earwax back deep into the ear.

Your doctor is a dope. Daily cleaning removes daily build up. Just use the damn things and ignore your dope of a doc.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: keeleysam
Then use Q-tips. They don't hurt 95% of the people who use them.

My doctor says they shouldn't be used. While effective somewhat, they also push the remaining earwax back deep into the ear.

Your doctor is a dope. Daily cleaning removes daily build up. Just use the damn things and ignore your dope of a doc.

No doctor will ever recommend using q-tips to clean your ears. If this quys doc is a dope then I guess the entire group of us is wrong. You may get away with it but this guy is more likely to pack the wax tighter.

Atomicus

Banned
May 20, 2004
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
Any other Chinese people here use one of those tiny ear spoons? (Best description I've got, sorry) Or anybody else, for that matter. :p

My ears are immaculate ^_^

Its fun and satisfying, highly recommended :)

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Earwax buildup after ONLY 2 or 3 months? That's like having to clip your toenails every year!

I don't think you get it, such buildup can cause you to go deaf if the wax doesn't come out...

By buildup I'm sure he means to the point where it is caked and hard and blocks up the ear drum. Using the special drops helps to soften up the wax before it can build up and harden and cake up - causing the partial deafness.

Everyone produces ear wax, not everyone has to apply special drops to keep from going unnecessarily (and temporarily) deaf.

According to your analogy, most people would never have to clip their nails.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
TINY LITTLE CHINESE SPOONS FTW

the ticklish feeling is strange though. it works well however.

Fineghal

Apr 6, 2006
I actually have this problem. I have oddle shaped ear canals that don't drain properly. The wax then of course, hardens and causes a hearing problem. To the point, and I know this is relative, but after "cleaning" my ears, my sense of pitch is suddenly nearly spot on.

Yeah. Get some debrox, which is an over the counter peroxide based set of ear drops. They drop in, fizz (itch like mad) and then you wash 'em out with a water pick or bulb syringe.

Forgive the sp.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Fineghal
I actually have this problem. I have oddle shaped ear canals that don't drain properly. The wax then of course, hardens and causes a hearing problem. To the point, and I know this is relative, but after "cleaning" my ears, my sense of pitch is suddenly nearly spot on.

Yeah. Get some debrox, which is an over the counter peroxide based set of ear drops. They drop in, fizz (itch like mad) and then you wash 'em out with a water pick or bulb syringe.

Forgive the sp.

Yep, that's the stuff I got. It doesn't always work on the first attempt though. Sometimes it takes 3-4 doses of it over the course of a couple days. It sucks going through that much time with the earwax buildup :(

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Fineghal

Forgive the sp.

Yep, that's the stuff I got. It doesn't always work on the first attempt though. Sometimes it takes 3-4 doses of it over the course of a couple days. It sucks going through that much time with the earwax buildup :(

The key is to do it on a regular basis before you have the problem. After the next time you have it flushed start once a week using the drops then if the wax still builds up increase the frequency if not you can try decreasing the frequency to every 2 weeks then adjust as needed.

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
Any other Chinese people here use one of those tiny ear spoons? (Best description I've got, sorry) Or anybody else, for that matter. :p

it's an asian thing...loooooooooooove it...the one i have takes a AAA battery and the spoon is clear plastic, so it lights up and you could see deeper into the ear as well as ALL the ear wax...love the feeling of having my ears cleaned :D

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Anghang

it's an asian thing...loooooooooooove it...the one i have takes a AAA battery and the spoon is clear plastic, so it lights up and you could see deeper into the ear as well as ALL the ear wax...love the feeling of having my ears cleaned :D

Haha yeah :thumbsup: it tickles, very satisfying and very awesome once your ear is clean.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
I've used that Debrox solution before to get my ear lavage at the nurse clinic. That was build-up after years and years, not after 2-3 months.

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
I use a Q-tip, even though my doctor tells me not to. If you do it right, it will not push it farther back, especially if you do not let it get out of control.
The worst that will happen is that some cotton will get stuck in the back. This happened to my father, and he just went to the dctor, and he removed it with some tweezers.

-Use a Q-tip.

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
so i guess after 20 years of qtipping i should have an insane amount of wax impacted and pushed into my inner ear...causing me hearing loss and infections

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Don't buy ear drops.
Get some olive oil and a dropper, and use it every so often, and it will soften up the wax.
If necessary go to the doctor and get it all cleaned out, and then put in drops every so often. But make sure you use oil before you go, otherwise he might not be able to clean it out, and will just ask you to come back in a few days after using oil to soften the wax.