Earthquake hits sumatra west coast

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
did dave predict this one? i don't think its an official earthquake unless dave predicted it.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
did dave predict this one? i don't think its an official earthquake unless dave predicted it.

Actually, he did. Don't you all know he has his computer plugged into every seismic activity monitor in the universe. :p

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
I wonder if people realize that the Richter scale is logarithmic?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Absolutely. He predicted a 7.0 on the US west coast. A 6.4 on the other side of the Pacific Ocean fits that description in his mind.

He also predicted it would happen a few weeks ago. I guess he has to adjust the tinfoil a bit - either that or Dick Cheney's natural disaster machine is out of whack.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: Ophir
I wonder if people realize that the Richter scale is logarithmic?

So what's your point?
Well, a 6.4 earthquake, though large, is about 800 times less powerful in terms of measured amplitude and releases about 30,000 times less energy than the 9.3 earthquake that caused the 2004 tsunami epicentered in a similar area.

I'm not trying to lessen the gravity of the situation, a 6.4 is significant. I guess it was backlash from other posts about magnitude 3-4 earthquakes.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

Actually, he did. Don't you all know he has his computer plugged into every seismic activity monitor in the universe. :p

It's all still part of the Pacific plate super active.

It's gotten as close to lower Baja.

Los Angeles area is up next.

3 Quakes Strike In South Pacific

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We need a "Sumatra has had another earthquake" stickied thread. That way, we don't have to have a new thread on this every couple of days...

That area is one of the most seismicly active regions in the world...They're GONNA have large quakes on a fairly regular basis.