Early OC'ing wall with ASUS HD6850?

Shadow187

Dec 23, 2010
I recently got a DirectCU HD6850 and was pretty eager to OC it. These are my results so far.

In order from top-to-bottom; Stock, 825/1025, 850/1050, 850/1075. These graphs are a 5minute run in Furmark, 1280x1024, no AA.

2a5ljkg.jpg

fz7yc6.jpg

24vprt1.jpg

wjtbgw.jpg

Problem: Increasing the core any further results in a crash (tested 860/1075, crashes within 2 minutes. computer restarts).

CPU: Phenom II x3-720 unlocked to Phenom II x4-920 OC'd to Phenom II x4-950 (3.1ghz).
PSU: CoolMax 600W, +12v1 @ 18a, +12v2 @ 18a, +12v3 @ 15a. Combined wattage of 450W.
GPU: :rolleyes:

And yes I know I'm aggressive with temperatures, but I don't hear it over my case fans, and I like to keep my card cool. I'll freak if it hits 75c.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
My sapphire gets to 900/1100 easily on stock voltage...

BUT...that CoolMax PSU...

EWWWW...I wouldn't trust it...

Shadow187

Dec 23, 2010
It was $60 ($20 after a $40 MIR (which I never got..)), and it seems pretty decent. Bad brand name?

Interesting facts:
I ran 900/1100 on 1.18v playing COD:Black Ops for a couple hours flawlessly. Played Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for 30 minutes, my screen freezes for a minute then computer restarts. Same with Left for Dead 2. Kombuster crashes within 15 seconds, however.

Also, I'm using MSI AfterBurner instead of ASUS SmartDoctor. Could this affect anything?

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
It was $60 ($20 after a $40 MIR (which I never got..)), and it seems pretty decent. Bad brand name?

Interesting facts:
I ran 900/1100 on 1.18v playing COD:Black Ops for a couple hours flawlessly. Played Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for 30 minutes, my screen freezes for a minute then computer restarts. Same with Left for Dead 2. Kombuster crashes within 15 seconds, however.

Also, I'm using MSI AfterBurner instead of ASUS SmartDoctor. Could this affect anything?
Yea, CoolMax isn't exactly the best brand in the world, i wouldn't trust my system to another one of those things again. My 400w never failed, but still...just a bad reputation, specially when running higher end video cards.

Could the PSU have something to do with the bad OC? Maybe...Maybe not.

Have you tried to played BO or BC2 without the GPU overclocked? Maybe it's your CPU?...it happened to me playing BC2 that the game would crash and i'd be forced to reboot...some games don't take OCing CPUs too kindly...

MSI afterburner is fine, as a matter of fact, it's better than Smart Doctor.

If Kombustor is crashing, then your GPU is NOT stable and you should try to clock it down, if you can't run Kumbustor for 15 minutes, there is definitely something wrong.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
check newegg reviews on this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121399

it looks like most getting 950+ and 1150+ mem of course yours might vary but I doubt it cannot pass 900 on core. the 6850 is very oc friendly and the Asus TOP series which I own the 460gtx one with exact same cooler on top is very good at keeping down the temp. The whole card is made to be easy OC. that PSU could be a problem, never heard of CoolMax personally.

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Something has to be stopping you, to me, it can only be:

A bad chip
A bad MOBO
A bad PSU

You can only troubleshoot so far though...

Let me get the model # of the PSU you have and try increasing the voltage, see if that helps.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
lol how is it a bad chip when you run out of spec???? Sheesh it's like I buy a Ford but it's bad because I don't get Ferrari performance? You people are spoiled much.

btw I have this same card but haven't oc'd it yet because I don't need to yet. By the time I need to OC it (next year when newer games come out), I'm just gonna Xfire another 6850 (which should be under $100 AR by this time next year). So I don't even care much for extreme OC'ing. I rather just save the card by running a regular clock and get ready for Xfire next year!

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
lol how is it a bad chip when you run out of spec???? Sheesh it's like I buy a Ford but it's bad because I don't get Ferrari performance? You people are spoiled much.

btw I have this same card but haven't oc'd it yet because I don't need to yet. By the time I need to OC it (next year when newer games come out), I'm just gonna Xfire another 6850 (which should be under $100 AR by this time next year). So I don't even care much for extreme OC'ing. I rather just save the card by running a regular clock and get ready for Xfire next year!

o_O?

When benchmarkers are getting 925/1075 with the exact same model @ stock voltage, you know something is wrong.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Let's think about this. The OP's clock is stable at 850 MHz. From 850 to 925 is another 75 Mhz, or less than 10&#37; increase in raw clock rate, which probably translate to less than 5% gain in real world gaming framerate. Unless the OP plays a game that teeter-totter on the edge of minimal playable framerate, a < 5% increase is almost meaningless.

So why does he need to sweat it out so much? So many are so enraged in absolute benchmarking that they forget the bigger picture.

BTW, just for kicks, I just crank my Asus 6850 to 875 Mhz on stock voltage and ran MSI Rombust for 10 minutes with no problem. But I decided to went back to default clock of 790 Mhz because like I said, I see no need at the moment to leave it at 875 Mhz and burn electricity. If/when the times come, I will Xfire an 6850 and call it a day. No sweat. Spend more time gaming, less time trying to squeeze another 5% performance out of it. But to each his own.

Last edited:

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
I don't think you should be using furmark -it's called a power virus for good reason. Try overclocking further BUT don't use synthetic benchmarks that demand 90+ &#37; sustained from the GPU -no games do that (unfortunately). Unigine also is 90% plus and you can't play synthetic benchmarks. Whack it up and try gaming on the MOST demanding game you have for a few hours.

Shadow187

Dec 23, 2010
Let's think about this. The OP's clock is stable at 850 MHz. From 850 to 925 is another 75 Mhz, or less than 10% increase in raw clock rate, which probably translate to less than 5% gain in real world gaming framerate. Unless the OP plays a game that teeter-totter on the edge of minimal playable framerate, a < 5% increase is almost meaningless.

So why does he need to sweat it out so much? So many are so enraged in absolute benchmarking that they forget the bigger picture.

BTW, just for kicks, I just crank my Asus 6850 to 875 Mhz on stock voltage and ran MSI Rombust for 10 minutes with no problem. But I decided to went back to default clock of 790 Mhz because like I said, I see no need at the moment to leave it at 875 Mhz and burn electricity. If/when the times come, I will Xfire an 6850 and call it a day. No sweat. Spend more time gaming, less time trying to squeeze another 5% performance out of it. But to each his own.

Unfortunately 5% IS on the verge of playable. COD : Black Ops will have between 45-55FPS; another 5% would help the low end. BF : Bad Company 2 hovers around 40FPS, 5% more would help.

I don't think you should be using furmark -it's called a power virus for good reason. Try overclocking further BUT don't use synthetic benchmarks that demand 90+ % sustained from the GPU -no games do that (unfortunately). Unigine also is 90% plus and you can't play synthetic benchmarks. Whack it up and try gaming on the MOST demanding game you have for a few hours.

Which is what I did; I can game absolutely fine on 875/1100mhz, but the problem is that increasing voltage does not seem to adjust stability.

Thanks for the input, every post is appreciated! Merry x-mas eve!

Shadow187

Dec 23, 2010
*Update
Tested Kombuster at 1.2v with 860/1075. Fails after 3 minutes (better than 1 minute 30 seconds), but shouldn't upping the voltage by that much allow full stability at a 10mhz core increase?

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
*Update
Tested Kombuster at 1.2v with 860/1075. Fails after 3 minutes (better than 1 minute 30 seconds), but shouldn't upping the voltage by that much allow full stability at a 10mhz core increase?
Yea, it's not pretty. Go into your BIOS, see how much you're getting out of the +12V on your PSU.

Shadow187

Dec 23, 2010
I couldn't find any direct wattage measurements but the +12v fluctuates between 12.334v and 12.398v.