Early look at health law's premiums - First cost estimates of Obama Care

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But remember that that won't reduce their monthly premium. It will be in the form of a tax credit. People that can ill afford it will have to come up with it from somewhere and wait until tax time to recoup some of that expenditure. I suppose more food stamps will at least help fill their bellies.

It's totally worth it to provide healthcare to 30 million illegals.

Under certain income thresholds up front payment is not required. The gov will pay the amount of the credit directly to the insurance company when premiums are due so people who can't afford to wait for annual refunds won't need to.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Great - kill your income to drop below the subsidized threshold levels.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I have news for you, old people are far far far far bigger users of health care than any other group. The premiums reflect this reality. If it were up to me, rationing of care for those over the age of 70 would be mandatory. There is absolutely no reason on earth to spend half a million dollars in expensive operations/medications on people of that age.

It is the people between 50-70 that are getting the shaft.
High premiums; decent health.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
It is the people between 50-70 that are getting the shaft.
High premiums; decent health.

You drop off mom and dads insurance at 25, get your own insurance, then pay into the system for 25 years.

Better yet, get a job at 18 or 19 years old that has health insurance and pay into the system for 30 years.

The majority of people are not going to have health problems between 25 - 50. Except child birth, checkups and women with female problems, there should be very little use for healthcare between 25 and 50.

Then after paying into the system for 25 - 30 years, and when the average person starts to need medical care, premiums go up.

Its nothing more than a scam.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Yes, living in poverty with free health insurance beats the hell out of living well and having to pay for your insurance.

How about again being forced to pay more to support those that are getting it for free.

Or is that another one of the fairness principles.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
The majority of people are not going to have health problems between 25 - 50. Except child birth, checkups and women with female problems, there should be very little use for healthcare between 25 and 50.

Then after paying into the system for 25 - 30 years, and when the average person starts to need medical care, premiums go up.

Premiums reflect the nature and likelihood of a risk. It only makes sense that people less likely to need healthcare would pay a lower premium.

And you don't "pay into" insurance like you're depositing to a bank. You're paying for the insurance company to take on the risk that you're going to get hurt or get sick for a certain amount of time. It's a service that's been bought by you and service was rendered whether there was a claim filed or not.

The fact is that old people make more claims and cost more to insure. Just like a ferrari costs more to insure than camry. There's a risk of a greater loss and with old people there's also a greater frequency of losses. That's why they pay more.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Thats $14,400/ year, $144,000 /decade. If you saved that money you could pay...

many people will never save that much money and if you do and have one hospital visit that wipes you out, what do you do then?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How about again being forced to pay more to support those that are getting it for free.

Or is that another one of the fairness principles.
Why are you changing the subject? Is it because you know it's clinically insane to think that lowering your income in order to get free health insurance looks like a good plan?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You drop off mom and dads insurance at 25, get your own insurance, then pay into the system for 25 years.

Better yet, get a job at 18 or 19 years old that has health insurance and pay into the system for 30 years.

"Paying into" what system? This isn't a 401K its insurance and yes that is the way insurance works, prices are (supposed to be) set by risk. As you stated above, the older you get the more of a risk that you will require health care.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You do know what "insurance" is or at least is supposed to be, right? The older you are the more likely you are to require expensive health care versus someone younger.
I'm sure he'll be surprised to find out that life insurance gets more expensive as he gets older. I bet he'll be disappointed that he can't blame this on Obama.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The fact is that old people make more claims and cost more to insure. Just like a ferrari costs more to insure than camry. There's a risk of a greater loss and with old people there's also a greater frequency of losses. That's why they pay more.

Old people just need to whine more like women and claim they are being "discriminated" against.

It worked out pretty well for the empowered "independent" single women to get single men to subsidize their health insurance.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Just like a ferrari costs more to insure than camry. There's a risk of a greater loss and with old people there's also a greater frequency of losses. That's why they pay more.

are we talking about peoples lives or a new fender? people have a choice of what car they drive, getting older and getting the shaft for the sole reason of age is bullshit and i would say age discrimination.

health insurance is mandatory so how is making older people pay out the nose not age discrimination?

Apr 27, 2012
I have news for you, old people are far far far far bigger users of health care than any other group. The premiums reflect this reality. If it were up to me, rationing of care for those over the age of 70 would be mandatory. There is absolutely no reason on earth to spend half a million dollars in expensive operations/medications on people of that age.

Good idea! As long as they start with you :)

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
"Paying into" what system?

Paying for a service you are not using.

Insurance companies make a fortune off healthy people. But when you need the health care premiums go up?

The health care system is broken, and nobody is doing anything to fix it.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Paying for a service you are not using.

Insurance companies make a fortune off healthy people. But when you need the health care premiums go up?

The health care system is broken, and nobody is doing anything to fix it.

Do you really have a problem understanding how insurance works?

Its basically reverse gambling; where you hope you lose.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
health insurance is mandatory so how is making older people pay out the nose not age discrimination?

Everyone's treated equally in that everyone living to old age will pay more. Just like everyone will pay less while they're young. How is that discriminatory?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Do you really have a problem understanding how insurance works?

Its basically reverse gambling; where you hope you lose.

I fully understand how insurance works, and it sucks.

You pay for a service you hope you never use. And if you do use it, you pay more for it.

In 1991 my wife at the time, we divorced 9 years later, was hit head on by a drunk driver. Her medical bills cost so much, the insurance company raised the premium for the company I worked for. The rate hike was so much the company was forced to drop the insurance carrier and go with a new provider.

What the hell? You pay for something for years, never use it, and when you do the company wants to charge you more?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

You pay for a service you hope you never use. And if you do use it, you pay more for it.

In 1991 my wife at the time, we divorced 9 years later, was hit head on by a drunk driver. Her medical bills cost so much, the insurance company raised the premium for the company I worked for. The rate hike was so much the company was forced to drop the insurance carrier and go with a new provider.

What the hell? You pay for something for years, never use it, and when you do the company wants to charge you more?
Free market principles at work.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012

Sounds like you came out ahead on the deal. You were probably paying $200 a month for coverage and when the $250,000 hospital bill came in you weren't on the hook for it. You should be happy.

The insurance company doesn't usually factor in catastrophic losses into their initial rates... until it happens. People who sustain a loss are more likely to have more claims in the future, so rates go up to keep the company solvent. Simple as that.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Translation:
Those with higher health risks (accumulated with age) will pay more. Exactly how insurance is suppose to work :colbert:
Except that's not how the ACA system works. Not only is health underwriting prohibited, meaning that health risks are explicitly not a factor in premiums, but the age banding insurers use is being artificially compressed so even using age as an approximate indicator of health is skewed.

But remember that that won't reduce their monthly premium. It will be in the form of a tax credit. People that can ill afford it will have to come up with it from somewhere and wait until tax time to recoup some of that expenditure. I suppose more food stamps will at least help fill their bellies.

It's totally worth it to provide healthcare to 30 million illegals.
Anyone that qualifies for a tax credit (it's not a subsidy) can apply to have it paid in advance to the insurer.

Here's something to consider. Will the premium be based solely on age or will health factors be taken into account? Will a fit and trim active senior have the same premium as an overweight diabetic sedentary senior? I ask because if they both need a hip replacement, which one will be denied?
Premiums will be, for most intents and purposes, based exclusively on age.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Translation:
Those with the higher incomes (accumulated with age) will get screwed again

Didn't read the article yet but what you posted in the quote and translation is not an accurate statement. Just because age 60 pay more than 40 doesn't mean anything. It needs to compare what age 60 use to pay. Maybe you left that out of your quote but thats what needs to be compared.