EA merger talks with Take Two / 2K Games end

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Text
On Sunday, EA said it ended private negotiations with Take Two about a potential transaction and had decided to no longer pursue an acquisition

Now that that is over with, I wonder which company EA will focus on. I imagine EA will need more assets to better compete with Call of Warcraft Hero (Activision). Any speculation as to who might be next on EA's list of targets now that the Take Two deal fell through?

I think Atari (Infogrames) has some good franchises that could be revitalized, since they own the Microprose back catalog, AFAIK. EA could not manage it any worse that their current leadership.

Personally, I would not be surprised if they purchased StarDock's gaming division to crush those pesky anti-DRM rebels:evil:

Offering Gabe and crew more than they are worth for Valve to secure dominance in the growing online distribution business might be worth it for the long run as well.

Oh the choices...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I think Atari (Infogrames) has some good franchises that could be revitalized, since they own the Microprose back catalog, AFAIK. EA could not manage it any worse that their current leadership.

I think you underestimate EA.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
good... NHL vs. 2K games competition lives on. EA's version is worse.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Actually, I think this is more of EA no longer being able to back their offer at face value since one of their flagship products is currently embroiled in the gigantic DRM fiasco that is Spore.

That and Take 2's portfolio may actually have a lot more waiting in the wings than we possibly know about.