EA games admits 3D is no winner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
One of the aspects of EA is they may of desired to charge premiums for S3d games for their over-all strategy, and in this context, they may believe it isn't worth spending resources based on the lack of premium potential for S3d.

In any case, it is disappointing that EA doesn't take more of a leadership role here.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Ahem...:p Yes, a noble sacrifice, for the readers of course ;) :D
Actually it was a bit of a sacrifice. There is a lot of HW that i eschewed reviewing - including Lano - to do this exploration. That means that i realized going in that ABT would have less content for a few months (and less new growth in readership).
:'(

However, i have been following Nvidia's implementation of S3D since Nvision08 and i have been bugging them to get a 3D Vision kit for review for a couple of years. i really do believe that S3D in PC gaming is the "next big thing" because it is SO cool and because it opens an entire library of old games to players; not to mention the new games developed with it in mind like Crysis 2.

The good news is that the "research" is done (although S3D game reviews will be ongoing and a regular feature at ABT - along with SuperWidescreen benching at 5760x1080) and i am writing the Mega review now. i got a new iTwin for a review yesterday and a new AMD card comes next week for review.
:whiste:

In any case, it is disappointing that EA doesn't take more of a leadership role here.
EA is a predatory company who is only concerned about their own bottom line. The have no vision and have taken no leadership position except to acquire and ruin good PC development companies.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
3D for console may be looking doomed at the moment but not for PC as AP has stated...
Me? personally 3d PC gamer here for over a year now...I ain't going back to 2D, ever!

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Of all the "gimmicks" in PC gaming, 3D is actually the one I'd like to try sometime soon. From reviews, it seems like it really changes the experience. Eyefinity looks cool, but there's no way I'm fitting 3 monitors on my desk. I live in an apartment, not a warehouse.

And 3D movies aren't for me - I think blu-ray is a tremendous improvement, but I'm not going to bite on 3D. Way too huge an initial investment (new TV and potentially new HDMI 1.4 receiver), and I'm not about to wear 3D glasses while watching a movie at home, let alone force my guests to as well. That's just a non-starter. I don't even care for it much in the theater.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Of all the "gimmicks" in PC gaming, 3D is actually the one I'd like to try sometime soon. From reviews, it seems like it really changes the experience. Eyefinity looks cool, but there's no way I'm fitting 3 monitors on my desk. I live in an apartment, not a warehouse.

And 3D movies aren't for me - I think blu-ray is a tremendous improvement, but I'm not going to bite on 3D. Way too huge an initial investment (new TV and potentially new HDMI 1.4 receiver), and I'm not about to wear 3D glasses while watching a movie at home, let alone force my guests to as well. That's just a non-starter. I don't even care for it much in the theater.
Movies aren't for me; my LR HDTV is 24" (i have no regular programs except "news"). When MrK an ABT editor came to visit me, we watched movies on my 30" 2560x1600 LCD
- he also spent a long time pla.. i mean, evaluating 3D Vision and gives it solid thumbs up also.:p

The good news is that i can watch 3D movies (if i wanted to) on my 23" ASUS display. Nvidia provides the SW for viewing 3D BluRay with the 3D Vision glasses on your 120Hz 3D Vision-ready LCD. i have two pairs of glasses; Nvidia was very thoughtful when they sent their kit for review.
;)

If you think that 3x24" takes a lot of room, try 5x1 Eyefinity - it stretches across my dining room table and two of the five monitors have to sit on stands next to the table
o_O

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I'm not a fan of anything that has "3D!!!" plastered all over the name. To me it's nothing but a gimmick, be it games, movies, whatever (and yes, I've actually bothered to try it). I don't find it one bit interesting, just slightly to very annoying on the eyes.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
try to watch 3D BR or game on a 73" DLP or bigger....
Now you probably know why I ain't going back...
Have my eyes on a 92" DLP when it becomes available in Sept.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
ypc gaming has historically been a niche market, with gaming systems typically running near $2000 or $3000. now, the cost of entry is around $300 or $400 for a modern pc capable of playing social games, albeit with low hardware requirements.

you start with a "then" and finish with a "now"...
Way back in the day 2000$+ PC was required to play video games... that was back in the day when that is what a computer cost. I still remember my first computer, 1MB of ram, 60MB HDD, a 5 inch floppy... it ran dos... and it was priced at over 2000$.

Now an entry rig with IGP that can do social games is 300-400$. A decent gaming rig is 600-800$ (including a CPU and RAM upgrade not just GPU... so it has much better performance in non gaming things as well)... or 400-500$ if you build your own.
You can still buy a 2000$ rig but you don't NEED to do so.

And of course, you can always buy a console as well for ~300$ and get graphics that are very aged compared to a PC, but still decades ahead of "social gaming".

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Good. We need better graphics and physics, not gimmicky 3D frills.

Woah... my thoughts on the matter too.

Yea I agree , and how about a game I can't beat the single player in 5 or 6 hours too.

And this :)

We re greedy by nature, we want games that have better and better graphics, but we dont want storyline and playing experiance to suffer for it (which usually happends if someone goes all out for graphics in a game)

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I don't know, 3d accelerated games on a 2d flat screen - -just doesn't make a lot of sense moving forward for realism. Personally like to see 3d stereo mature and evolve -- for more quality and less limitations.

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
I would have already gotten a 3d display if the only decent sized one out for Nvidia weren't a freakin' Acer.

For those who actually research particular models rather than shop name-brand, here's the authoritative review of the Acer hn274h:

http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-acer-hn274h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/

I have this monitor and it is awesome. Its forte is cranking out the light to keep the 3D scenes at acceptable brightness when viewed through glasses.

I thought Asus was coming out with a 27" 3d monitor. Where is it?

They did the same thing last year with a different 27" 3d monitor -- tradeshow appearances, but no production.

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
Now that you can get a 22" 120Hz LCD for $200 and a pair of wired 3D Vision glasses for $80, the cost of entry is LOW (considering that every PC gamer that likes shooters, should have a 120Hz display ANYWAY).

Good point, a lot of people already have the GPU power, but don't realize they're almost there (in terms of $$) for a 3D option.

One extra consideration for those who are far-sighted, like me. I went with a bigger 3D monitor (placed like a typical monitor about 2 ft away from my eyes on a computer desk) so I could ditch my prescription glasses, which is quite handy when donning 3D Vision glasses! Clearly, it is less cumbersome, but it also helps keep the 3D scenes at normal brightness (i.e., wearing two layers of glasses seems to appreciably attenuate more light).

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
? Is the product simply not available in your market or do you consider it overpriced (a fair criticism IMO). Here's another review hot off the press, but I'm not familiar with the reviewer.

http://www.pcmag.com/shop/product/acer-hn274h-bmiiid/864774620#product-review

I'm tempted to pick one up and try and sell my current 27" monitors.

It can't possibly be any worse than my Dell U2709's that randomly drop their picture ever so often! It's rather annoying to be doing something and the screen just goes black. :\

vas flam

Jan 26, 2011
They need to drop the whole 3D marketing and switch with 120hz gaming marketing! I picked up a s23a950d ($520 @ newegg)stricktly for the 120hz. The Asus was wayy too glossy/bright orange stand. The Acer's matte display looked good but didn't have the "color pop", the sammy was just right.

I tried out the 3D with TF2, FO:New Vegas, DNF, CIV 5, and watched Avatar. Watching 3D at the movies or playing games in 3D just does not interest me (plus I start to get a headache) I may give it another try on glassesless displays in the future.

I can note the smooth fluid difference between the increase from 60hz to 120hz about the 100 fps threshold, those extra 20 frames up to 120hz I can't tell.... but talk about 120hz for first person shooters :droool:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
I am the polar opposite and can see the difference from 120hz to 60hz but it's not even close to the jump in immersion that 3d stereo is. To only play 2d with 120hz monitors is a tragedy to me, and for a little bit more one can have the flexibility for 3d stereo for the content that does shine and for the content that doesn't -- there is still improved 2d and the added strengths of 120hz there.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
They need to drop the whole 3D marketing and switch with 120hz gaming marketing! I picked up a s23a950d ($520 @ newegg)stricktly for the 120hz. The Asus was wayy too glossy/bright orange stand. The Acer's matte display looked good but didn't have the "color pop", the sammy was just right.

I tried out the 3D with TF2, FO:New Vegas, DNF, CIV 5, and watched Avatar. Watching 3D at the movies or playing games in 3D just does not interest me (plus I start to get a headache) I may give it another try on glassesless displays in the future.

I can note the smooth fluid difference between the increase from 60hz to 120hz about the 100 fps threshold, those extra 20 frames up to 120hz I can't tell.... but talk about 120hz for first person shooters :droool:
That is my own point. Get a 120Hz display if you play shooters. The difference is astounding - there is no tearing and no flickering.

THEN ... after you have a 120Hz LCD, eighty bucks is not too much to spent to sample S3D (and you can return them, i believe, if you are not satisfied).

If you start to get a headache playing in S3D, adjust the depth. It is probably set too high for you. You should not notice ghosting; it should be very minimal.

If all you play is fast shooters, you might not like S3D at first; it takes some getting used to. And make sure you follow the suggestions to drop Post Processing and Motion Blur (generally) and set 3D depth to the minimum. And make sure that your framerates stay locked at 60FPS for a completely fluid S3D experience; variable rates can damage the S3D experience.
:colbert:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I really need 27" or bigger. I can't see myself going from a 28" down to a 24".

I went from 28 to 24 for eyefinity and I'll admit that it hurts a bit. also from 19x12 to 1080p

but I bought the 23.6's knowing I can snag the acer 120hz to to toss in teh middle when I feel like and atleast do one screen of 3d

I have played a few games in 3d at a buddys and its really fun in grid/dirt2, I dont recall the shooter I played on PC, but...

pS3 move + 3d +killzone3 is badass as all hell

I will echo AP's thoughts that EA is against it because its not getting them additional revenue. its an added feature, and not a decisive reason to purchase a game(for most people) so they arent going to drive it

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Expecting 3D to be mainstream is laughable when your average joe thinks he is watching HD on his brand new HDTV hooked up with a composite video cable on a SD channel.