EA delays three titles (Bioware title impacted)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Text
EA said it would delay the release of "Sims 3," "Godfather 2" and "Dragon Age" to fiscal 2010 from fiscal 2009, and that it would narrow its product portfolio and cut other variable costs.
Glad they did not cancel Dragon Age, I am looking forward to it. Hopefully the delay will ensure that it is released in a finished state.

/tin foil hat speculation
The delay is artificial in order to finish the console versions and launch them a few weeks (or months) before the PC version in an attempt to combat piracy.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
The article says their fiscal year begins in April. I haven't looked up the old releaes dates, but this could be just a minor slide to the right.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
February 20th to June 2nd for the Sims 3.
The others will likely be similar, not a full year slide, but enough to push them to next FY like Boobs said.
Sims 3 definitely isn't a change to launch with consoles and combat piracy. In fact, I wonder if EA will have any significant copy protection on it at all given how successful it's been in the past.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: zerocool84
and i was looking forward to Mafia 2

Me too. It looks like Max Payne meets GTA4. Better story line, varied missions, a likable character or two, and it's Mafia!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Text
EA said it would delay the release of "Sims 3," "Godfather 2" and "Dragon Age" to fiscal 2010 from fiscal 2009, and that it would narrow its product portfolio and cut other variable costs.
Glad they did not cancel Dragon Age, I am looking forward to it. Hopefully the delay will ensure that it is released in a finish state.

/tin foil hat speculation
The delay is artificial in order to finish the console versions and launch them a few weeks (or months) before the PC version in an attempt to combat piracy.

I firmly believe that there are a few things in this universe that are simply not possible, and seeing a game being released in a finished state is one of them.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006

The article above specifically mentions "Sims 3," "Godfather 2" and "Dragon Age", but makes no mention of Mafia 2. Is that even being published by EA?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Boobs McGee

The article above specifically mentions "Sims 3," "Godfather 2" and "Dragon Age", but makes no mention of Mafia 2. Is that even being published by EA?

Oh damnit.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Sims 3 definitely isn't a change to launch with consoles and combat piracy. In fact, I wonder if EA will have any significant copy protection on it at all given how successful it's been in the past.

Sims 2 had some of the most crippling DRM in history.

http://www.lockergnome.com/gam...ow-in-copy-protection/
Do you have Nero running on your computer? You may have to find another way to make a personal backup of your Best of The Three Tenors CD if you intend on playing The Sims 2 on your PC.

Many players are a little upset over The Sims 2?s built in copy protection. Apparently the game is designed to not work if you have CD copying/burning software ? such as Nero ? installed and running on your computer.

EA?s official Sims site has a solution for how to fix the problem, but users are not happy about this. Many of the game?s players are sounding off in the Official Sims 2 Community. EA has (reluctantly, I would assume) released a patch to remedy this problem but that does little to quell the fears that this is just a sign of what is to come. In an effort to eliminate piracy they have issued a punishment to casual gamers and users of their product. Big time software pirates and basement warez junkies will have no problems bypassing this rather simple protection while a 12-year-old?s mother will have to spend an hour on a tech support call to EA to get her legally purchased game working.

That was several years ago and they're still doing this with newer games like Red Alert 3. No they don't learn, yes this game will have extreme DRM. My recommendation would be to not purchase the game until a working crack is floating around on the net. That way you can support the developers and play the game :)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Shawn, don't forget it should be on steam. Ra3, dead space, mirrors edge all have no drm on steam.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Raduque
Shawn, don't forget it should be on steam. Ra3, dead space, mirrors edge all have no drm on steam.

Steam is DRM and is very restrictive, even more so than SecuROM in that you cannot sell it used.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: Raduque

Steam is DRM and is very restrictive, even more so than SecuROM in that you cannot sell it used.

*GASP* BLASHPHEMER! Sorry but Steam gets a pass in the DRM discussion. After all, it is Valve's creation!

I'm really not happy about the Dragon Age delay but if it results in a better game then I suppose it's a good thing.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
They are reporting losses and the word on the street is that they are to blame and it is not the econ. Even EA has been quoted admitting that and it has to do with quality. Surprise surprise.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Sims 3 getting delayed is going to absolutely nuke their financials this quarter. Yikes! Someone's head is going to roll, if I had to guess.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
*GASP* BLASHPHEMER! Sorry but Steam gets a pass in the DRM discussion. After all, it is Valve's creation!

I'm really not happy about the Dragon Age delay but if it results in a better game then I suppose it's a good thing.

Yes, yes it does. The ONLY thing it inhibits is reselling the game. Unlike other DRM which makes it so sometimes you can't even play the damn things (see Gears of War locking out on 1/28/09)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Wow, things mustve been bad for EA to delay them... Quality control is generally a foreign concept to EA.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Bah . . . the next few years will see EA destroy Bioware.

But the devs will all just leave and start up another game studio, so it should work out in the end :)

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
Man are you serious that Sims 3 is delayed??? It feel like a kick to the ball sicne the release was a week away.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Beev

Yes, yes it does. The ONLY thing it inhibits is reselling the game. Unlike other DRM which makes it so sometimes you can't even play the damn things (see Gears of War locking out on 1/28/09)

I logged in to Steam, then unplugged my router.
CoH wouldn't start. TF2 wouldn't start.
HL2 and Red Orchestra were OK, but of the 4 games I tried, I couldn't run two of them simply because my internet disconnected. You're telling me that's only inhibiting reselling?

I prefer SecuROM so far. I have Crysis Warhead and Spore, neither have caused me any problems.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Since its EA I dont give a shit. I wasnt going to buy anything from them anyway.
Shame because The Sims 3 looks interesting, but I guess I can go without.

Or use Steam since thats a hundred time easier than dealing with a disc install filled with things that destroy my system.

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: Beev

I logged in to Steam, then unplugged my router.
CoH wouldn't start. TF2 wouldn't start.
HL2 and Red Orchestra were OK, but of the 4 games I tried, I couldn't run two of them simply because my internet disconnected. You're telling me that's only inhibiting reselling?

I prefer SecuROM so far. I have Crysis Warhead and Spore, neither have caused me any problems.

Try Offline Mode