The expansion is obvious, it is part of EA's business model.
1) Announce game, hype it up.
2) Release game, but with lots of bugs.
3) Patch 1-3 times depending on how bad it is.
4) Release expansion with things they should of had from the start.
5) Cut off development.
6) Begin development on new project.
My wife was so excited to get this for me for X-mas, and I had to choke down a few hours of gameplay before I could quietly set it aside. SOmething about the whole BP issue soured me on the whole thing from before it was even released, and the reviews pretty much raked it over the coals. I hope to pick it up eventually and make a real go at it, but I havent heard much of anything positive.
Now she feels guilty for getting it for me (50 bucks!) and I feel guilty for not enjoying it, in short this game destroys marraiges, but not in the way games normally do, lol!