E8500 or Q6600?

dkkruse

Jan 21, 2007
I know there are a million iterations of this question - but a lot seem to focus on the same base clock speed. Right now, the price for both of these is the same at the egg.

I have a C2D 6600 in now on the ASUS P5B-E - not overclocked though. My kids computer died and I figure I will give them the old processor and cheap MOBO and do an incremental upgrade for me. I will install vista 64 bit this time as well and up the ram to 6GB. I do Photoshop, some gaming and often multiple processes at the same time.

My question is 2 faster processors or 4 slower processors? WWYD?

Thanks in advance.....

Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

or

Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
What do you mean by multiple processes at the same time?

Two chat clients and an internet broswer, or folding @ home while working photoshop and encoding a video?

dkkruse

Jan 21, 2007
Originally posted by: DSF
What do you mean by multiple processes at the same time?

Two chat clients and an internet broswer, or folding @ home while working photoshop and encoding a video?

Photoshop (lots of filters on big files), several internet browsers, Antivirus, music, and I'm sure some spyware......

Plus gaming (but I close down everything else for that), plus I'd like to keep this rig going for a few more years... A new video card will eventually happen as well.

And yes, I did see the first sticky... I just wasn't sure whether two faster cores or four slower cores would work now and into the future. I will probably overclock when I get a little more time.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
At the moment quad cores don't have much of an advantage in gaming, and other than Photoshop most of that other stuff isn't too CPU intensive. It's as much a question of hard drive response as anything else.

You're kind of on that borderline between the two. I wouldn't blame you for going quad core, especially if you see your multitasking increasing in the future. However, if you buy a slower clocked quad like a Q6600, you'll probably want to overclock to get the best performance in games down the road.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Unreal Tournament 3 already uses all four cores by itself. The performance improvement going from dual to quad in UT3 is pretty large. Most later Unreal Engine 3 games likely will utilize four cores as well.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Clocking the Q66 to 3ghz is so easy, its almost a crime NOT too.....I'd go for the Quad

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There's no reason in my mind to not go for a quad if you can. 3.2Ghz on a Q6600 is simple, maybe 3.4 if you have good cooling. A Q9550 or such can get to 3.6 or 3.8 with good cooling. Not hard to get there either.