E8500 E0 @ 4.17Ghz and 1.29v good for 24/7?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Finished stress testing and am satisfied with this clock. I game / surf and do power off, but want 24/7 stability.

Running cool and all seems perfect. Am I good to go?

Asus Rampage Formula x48
E8500 E0 @ 4.17 1.29v
lapped Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme w/AS5 properly applied
*Edit* Now using Core Temp = idle 38c load 56c (dual Orthos)

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
56C & 1.29v gives you quite a bit of headroom, regardless of clock. But 4.17Ghz ain't too shabby :)

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
The OC is fine, well within thermal and voltage spec. Nice!

Cool. Man you're at Platinum already? You've been busy...

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Use OCCT instead of Orthos. It's quicker, and better. 2 hours of OCCT is all you need for total system stability.

If you get 1.29V under load, then I'd say raise it another notch or two and try to get that 4.2Ghz.

I'm using 1.32V under load to achieve 3.73Ghz on my rig in sig.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Cheex
I agree about OCCT.

:thumbsup:

I don't ;)

Linpack via LinX or IntelBurnTest = betta in my experience...

Really nice result though, SteelSix.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: SteelSix
Finished stress testing and am satisfied with this clock. I game / surf and do power off, but want 24/7 stability.

Running cool and all seems perfect. Am I good to go?

Asus Rampage Formula x48
E8500 E0 @ 4.17 1.29v
lapped Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme w/AS5 properly applied
*Edit* Now using Core Temp = idle 38c load 56c (dual Orthos)

Lookin' good. :thumbsup:

I pretty much agree with N7, the Intel Linpack is the brutal stability test. But frankly, I KNOW my system wouldn't pass that since I'm running 4 DIMMs on my OC, which pushes the Northbridge very hard and limits my OCing, whereas it passes ten hours on OCCT and twelve hours Prime (all the time I was willing to give them without actually USING the thing) and nothing I do will remotely push the system like that, so I'm very content. It screams! My temps are very similar to yours, by the way.

I'm toying with the idea of pulling out two DIMMs and doing another battery of tests with new OC settings, but I may just be too lazy to bother at this point.

But yeah, I would go for a full overnight run on both tests and then if you're hopelessly anal run IntelBurnTest. With the first two, don't be surprised if you go away for the night and come back to find the system rebooted. But you cannot go wrong with that system board and CPU combo.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I was using Auto for all except cpu and ddr voltage. Realized some were overvolted, esp NB (1.6). Found good manual adjustments for all voltages, NB now 1.45.

New cpu temps 33c idle 53c load. Now I know why people say CPU is king over memory and other tweaks. :thumbsup:

Machine350

Oct 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Cheex
I agree about OCCT.

:thumbsup:

I don't. I've had a system pass after 2 hours of OCCT and then crash as soon as I fire up Prime95. I'm still an old school fan of letting Prime95 run overnight before I'm satisfied.

darthjoe

Dec 12, 2007
I sometimes wonder about all of these tests. I thought my 4.0ghz overclock was stable. Ran 10 passes of Intelburntest, 1 hour of OCCT, and 8 hours of prime95 with no crashing or errors. I'd fire up WOW and the system would crash within an hour. I've since added back some voltage and it's stable now, but it's funny how none of these supposed stress test programs would error out, yet the game would cause instability.

Mango1970

Aug 26, 2006
As long as apps and games don't crash for like 12 hours (do you play that long :p)... it's all good in my books.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Originally posted by: darthjoe
I sometimes wonder about all of these tests. I thought my 4.0ghz overclock was stable. Ran 10 passes of Intelburntest, 1 hour of OCCT, and 8 hours of prime95 with no crashing or errors. I'd fire up WOW and the system would crash within an hour. I've since added back some voltage and it's stable now, but it's funny how none of these supposed stress test programs would error out, yet the game would cause instability.

Ditto... on Crysis. Got a couple BSOD's during benchmark run. I think it's memory. Have to screw around with it again. That 10x multi on the E8600 is looking really good right now. I'm having to shoe my memory into a higher slot than before. 10x multi would solve it..

buzzsaw13

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: darthjoe

I've had prime error out 10 hours into it. IMO I don't consider it prime stable till I've done 20+ hours doing it.

vaikus

Nov 19, 2008
TO: SteelSix

Hi,
i'm writing you because i have a problem clocking my E8500 E0.

It would be nice to run it @ 4.2ghz... or something near it.

Let me know if you can help me.

Thanks in advance,
asto

M1A

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
vaikus what do you need help with? What equipment are you using?
First thing is to have good memory to get much above 400FSB running 1:1

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
N7's probably right. I ran IntelBurn Test for 100 iterations of LinPack and it passed. Hit a peak of 71C. Passes 3 hours of OCCT with little effort. I found that overnight with Prime was generally a pretty good indicator, but if I can verify stability without a 12-hour run that's definitely OK with me.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I don't ;)

Linpack via LinX or IntelBurnTest = betta in my experience...

Really nice result though, SteelSix.

I agree here. IBT for 20 cycles = stable. It's fast, easy, and will flush out any future issues before they start.