E8400 with P5K deluxe wifi opinions please

steve1616

Feb 6, 2008
I posted for the first time a couple of days ago. I am building my first computer, and I was wanting to know if there is anything that I can do to make the P5K deluxe have a smooth transition to the E8400 CPU that I am going to buy. I have read so much about needing the correct bios and updates for the motherboards to even work with the new penryn cpu. Is there a way I can download the updates to the bios on my current cpu so that I will be able to download the updates directly from a cd or flash drive? Remember, this is all 100% new to me so I don't know what it takes to make everything work together. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have searched on this forum and found some helpful tips already, but it seems like most of this stuff is second nature to most of you. I am 95% sure that the Asus P5K deluxe is the right board for me, but I will take any suggestions. I have read many articles and reviews on the numerous motherboards available, and the P5k deluxe just seemed to be the most consistant as far as stability, compatibility, and build quality goes. A lot of the people that have had success running the E8400 seem to be running with this motherboard. The Abit IP35 pro was a very appealing motherboard (price and performance) after reading all the great reviews on it, but I also noticed people having problems with it when having all four memory slots filled. I have also read that this board is having some trouble running the new E8xxx series chips from Intel. My opinion is formed completely from the articles and forums that I have read so I don't have any real experience with any brand of motherboard. I want to use all four memory slots so that I can utilize 8GB worth of Ram, so if the P5K Deluxe is the best board for this scenario than that is what I am wanting. If it matters, I will be running the Corsair xms2 800MGz memory.

For the people that helped me out the other night, I was just wanting to let you know that I am not going to wait for the new Q9450 to come out. I am wasting too much time with my old computer. Mapping projects that should take 20 minutes are taking 2.5 hours because my old pentium 4 and 512 Mb worth of RAM just can't handle the task. The new computer might have paid for itself in just time alone by the time the Q9450 comes out. My previous decision was between the Q6600 or waiting for the Q9450, but I would have bought the E8400 last night if Clubit wasn't sold out of it (Newegg wants way more money for the E8400). My mapping program can utilize up to 8 cores for the processor, but I called the tech guys today, and they said that since my imagery isn't live imagery that the Dual cores would be more than enough processor. According to my task manager, the CPU is worked very hard, but for only very short bursts of time when I manipulated something on my mapping program. Even then, my pentium 4 isn't that overwhelmed, but it is very noticable that I should have way more RAM. My mapping program isn't really that taxing on the processor compared to many other things. For instance, if I try to stream video from the website ESPN 360, my processor shows that it is above 85% usage at all times. My computer will stream for about 5 minutes before it gets really hot and reboots multiple times. I can see the Quad core being very nice, but I just don't think I need it anytime soon. I just really don't think it will help my productivity any more than the E8400 will. Please feel free to comment on any of this, I really value the opinions of the people on this board.

Xvys

Aug 25, 2006
I would recommend downloading the newest bios and installing it beforehand, or at least have it on a usb ramdrive so you can update it if necessary. I would also reset the bios settings to its default if you use the m/b before installing the Penryn, it is set on default from the factory, but if you install your old cpu first to set it up, be sure to set it back to default as this is required with a new cpu. I ran 4 sticks of ram in my (4G) P5K deluxe and it worked perfectly, so you shouldn't have any problems running 4 sticks. These are great m/b and very stable so you should have few problems setting it up. That's all I can think of for now, good luck with the build!