E8400 vs 9950Black

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
What would be faster me and my friend were talking about this.

Consider E8400 can usually get 4.0 easy. lets say the 9950 can get it 3.0.

If you put the same video card in both same memory. I mean maybe quad on threaded apps but am leaning to the clock speed winning out.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
What would be faster me and my friend were talking about this.

Consider E8400 can usually get 4.0 easy. lets say the 9950 can get it 3.0.

If you put the same video card in both same memory. I mean maybe quad on threaded apps but am leaning to the clock speed winning out.
Well that's exactly it: you'd have to define a scenario/application before you could determine which is faster.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
At stock settings we could have a good debate about which chip is faster or better. If we include overclocking or even just undervolting to save energy, it's not even close. The E8400 is far better in 1-2 thread apps. Things start to turn around when a program can use all 4 cores.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
based on the data in these charts I think it's pretty clear that a 4 GHz wolfdale will be faster than 3 GHz Barcelona in a staggering majority of applications, multithreaded or not.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=54&p2=23

the barcelona is only faster in x264, and for the second pass the difference is not impressive at all. I would rather take the reduced performance for the occasional transcode job and take the single-threaded speed any day.

you tread a fine line between your argument wandering away from slow quad vs quick dual into good architecture vs bad architecture. I would rather have a 3 ghz lynnfield than a 4 ghz yorkfield for instance, and we all know 3.0 isn't anywhere near the limits of lynn overclocking. hell you would probably be better off with a 3.6 ghz propus or kentsfield than a 4.0 ghz yorkfield.

Last edited:

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
Well that's exactly it: you'd have to define a scenario/application before you could determine which is faster.

Well for me am comparing everything gaming dvd decoding photoshop work.

I think am going more for the speed of the dual over the added advantage of the apps that can use the extra cores.

I know stock to stock it's pretty close but being that most wolfdales overclock so far and easy I think the clock speed will win.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
based on the data in these charts I think it's pretty clear that a 4 GHz wolfdale will be faster than 3 GHz Barcelona in a staggering majority of applications, multithreaded or not.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=54&p2=23

the barcelona is only faster in x264, and for the second pass the difference is not impressive at all. I would rather take the reduced performance for the occasional transcode job and take the single-threaded speed any day.

Yeah going by the link wolfdale is a clear winner the few things it would be slower in is nothing the would bother me. Gaming and other apps not even that close really.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
Update looks like stock to stock there pretty much the same with my 4830 video card gaming with the cpu side higher on the 9950 in 3dmark. Not pushing it real hard right now since I had to swap water blocks to get a 775 board in my rig went to 1600 fsb which is 3.6 and the e8400 now has a edge. Going to run more bench's to compare in the next couple of days.

Dec 30, 2004
Yeah going by the link wolfdale is a clear winner the few things it would be slower in is nothing the would bother me. Gaming and other apps not even that close really.

Yeah I'd take the e8400 over the original Phenom series any day. I moved from an e8400 at 3.9Ghz to my current rig-- but that was only because it was a Phenom 2 (which is actually competitive clock/clock; the original Phenoms aren't really IMO and can't overclock much).

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I say AMD black because it would be a good future investment when apps use all cores etc.

But E8400 if you want the fastest speed right now. In future if you start doing rendering or DAW or something very taxing then that extra core would help, which you wouldn't have.

I recommend go with the AMD X4 . Also Im sure it goes above 3Ghz,, see or talk to people about their experiences with this chip. gl

You might not need the cores now but one day your going to say make a video and render you will get 100 percent load,, both cores @ 100 percent. Now here is where if you had a quad it would help immensely. Good luck with the decision. good posts guys, good thread.. gl

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
when that time comes, there will be much better quad cores around for ~$99. oh wait that's already happened.

Avoid Agena and Barcelona like the plague.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
If i am understanding this thread, i think the OP has an E8400 & his friend has the Phenom X4 9950?

They are comparing their systems?

That's my interpretation.

jtisgeek

Jan 26, 2010
If i am understanding this thread, i think the OP has an E8400 & his friend has the Phenom X4 9950?

They are comparing their systems?

That's my interpretation.

Yeah pretty much. Mostly to see if it's worth it to have a older doesn't really overclock quad or a faster cheap overclocking dual core. I mean nice core 2's are starting to show up in stuff I throw away at work lol

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I say AMD black because it would be a good future investment when apps use all cores etc.

But E8400 if you want the fastest speed right now. In future if you start doing rendering or DAW or something very taxing then that extra core would help, which you wouldn't have.

I recommend go with the AMD X4 . Also Im sure it goes above 3Ghz,, see or talk to people about their experiences with this chip. gl

You might not need the cores now but one day your going to say make a video and render you will get 100 percent load,, both cores @ 100 percent. Now here is where if you had a quad it would help immensely. Good luck with the decision. good posts guys, good thread.. gl
have you ever seen benchmarks? the 9950 is slow as ass for a quad and only in a select few apps can it match an E8400 when both are at stock speeds. when both are overclocked the E8400 easily beats it even in apps that use more than two cores and murders it in apps that only need one or two. not to mention the ridiculous power consumption of the 9950.

Last edited: