e8400 @ 5.1ghz on air (tuniq)

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
4.4 GHz with 1.4v

if thats prime stable, that guy has a firken horse shoe up his ass.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
its probably not prime stable anywhere above 4.2-4.3ghz. think he just wants to show off his 5100mhz screenshot. I could clockgen to ~4.8ghz on mine but wasnt prime stable above 4.2

T

Tim

That CPU is probably dead by now... Assuming he does this a lot.
Good thing the e8400's aren't expensive.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
But it's Super PI stable!1!!1! :laugh:

Super PI is barely any better than just managing to boot into Windows, but hey...

It's kinda funny @ XS.

I love how some of the people there are very much in favor of suicide shots, & others realize how silly those are, & want to see uber stability that many of our system couldn't even pass (LinPack :p).

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
very cool, only that he has 1 stick of memory and like you said he just did it to show off to everyone, i really like the E8400, the best dual core all rounder made for the general public in a long time!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
L748a142

MUST FIND ONE!

Lets see if it is prime stable 4.4 @ 1.4v

keep note it takes 1.57Vcore for my pft.. 4.3

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Xtremesystems is a great site but you have to take overclocking results from there with a grain of salt. Their definition of stable and our definition of stable are quite different.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Extelleron
Xtremesystems is a great site but you have to take overclocking results from there with a grain of salt. Their definition of stable and our definition of stable are quite different.

I get the sense that their idea of what stable means is "isn't falling off the desk"

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

True, but it is not because they are unawares of what most folks around here call stable.

(quite the opposite, what I see around the AT forums is if anything a lot of negativity about the XS overclocks because of the rampant igorance around here as to what the XS'ers consider stability to mean and more importantly why that is all they are after)

It is true the XS crowd is interested in pushing the extremes of their hardware, as measured by short-lived benchmarks such as SPi 1M for CPU's and 3Dmarks for GPU's.

They aren't too interested in pushing the extremes for 24x7 operation in WoW or Oblivion, and they don't try to represent themselves any differently.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Even they doubt it might be real, the guy has no camera or way to take a picture of his setup and doesn't provide temps :p But I mean c'mon I can boot into windows at 4 ghz on my Q6600, except if I open anything I get a BSoD on the spot :D

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I'm sure it's real. I've seen 4800mhz and a BSOD myself. On air. You can maybe run a benchmark at 5000mhz, but its going to overheat or Bsod soon after that. Like idontcare says, they dont care about 24/7 stability over there. I've even asked if people would try to prime for stability, seems like they won't even bother. As long as they can run 3dmark, aquamark, and superpi, then they will do it as fast as possible and brag about it. I tried to run prime at 4500mhz on air, and after 10 minutes my temps were above 80C. If you have air cooling in a closed case and normal circumstances, normal ambients and all like most of us do, then don't look for anything over 4.3 unless your super lucky. I thought before the chip came out that I would be able to run 4.5 in my case on air. It just gets too hot. 4.2-4.3 is a practical high end, over that it's just too much stress. these 5ghz guys usually run vapo cascade dice and all. Yoxxy here runs vapo on his 8500 at like 4.7ghz. and most at'ers here are running between 4.0 and 4.1 if they know what they're doing. I don't think that XS guy is lying. Dumo showed some cpu-id SS's at like ~5.2ghz or something with an air cooler.

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
I guess a wise investment for people claiming a world record (especially on air) would be a webcam.

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
I don't consider a system stable unless I can fold on it on air. Is that a reasonable stability for this forum?

I am pretty proud of getting a Pentium D 805 to 3.46GHz all day long, crunching, with casual internet use thrown in. Oh yeah one of the main reasons I'm proud is cos it's at stock Vcore with a sub-$50 ECS Mobo and the cheapest A-Data memory from Newegg. Is that pretty good, or do I need to scurry back into my e-cave?

ReefaMadness

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare

True, but it is not because they are unawares of what most folks around here call stable.

(quite the opposite, what I see around the AT forums is if anything a lot of negativity about the XS overclocks because of the rampant igorance around here as to what the XS'ers consider stability to mean and more importantly why that is all they are after)

It is true the XS crowd is interested in pushing the extremes of their hardware, as measured by short-lived benchmarks such as SPi 1M for CPU's and 3Dmarks for GPU's.

They aren't too interested in pushing the extremes for 24x7 operation in WoW or Oblivion, and they don't try to represent themselves any differently.

A very good explanation of what goes on at XS.

Another way of looking at it is this...these guys take the Ford Mustangs or Honda Civics of the world, bore and stroke them, or inject them with Nitrous Oxide...and then gear them up to run the 1/8 mile for pure ETAs. They have no intentions or delusions about these being the family car.

Those rigs at XS are not intended to be family PCs, but its not because those guys don't understand what it takes to make a family PC.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: OfficeLinebacker
I don't consider a system stable unless I can fold on it on air. Is that a reasonable stability for this forum?

I am pretty proud of getting a Pentium D 805 to 3.46GHz all day long, crunching, with casual internet use thrown in. Oh yeah one of the main reasons I'm proud is cos it's at stock Vcore with a sub-$50 ECS Mobo and the cheapest A-Data memory from Newegg. Is that pretty good, or do I need to scurry back into my e-cave?

Well there's really two forms of stability to be interested in, and to know when to distinguish between. (this includes XS)

There's (1) stable for my personal usage patterns and applications, and then there's (2) stable for some pre-defined usage pattern and software application which is expected to tax the system more-so than (1) does and is widely accepted as such.

What you have described is (1). For your software application of relevance and your specific usage pattern of that application your system experiences stability which you define to be acceptable to yourself. This is perfectly normal and acceptable.

However for the purpose of comparing your overclock results (my E2160 OC's to 3.6GHz, is this good or is it great!?) to those overclocks that others have achieved it is irrelevant as no one else is likely to be operating their computers exactly as you are.

That's where (2) comes in. We generally agree that Prime95 for small FFT for 8-12hrs is necessary to determine if the CPU is stable at a given clockspeed.

This is chosen because (1) Prime95 is freely available, everyone has access to the same application, (2) it is likely to stress your system more so than your specific application of interest (ergo if the computer is stable in Prime95 then it ought to be stable in your application), and (3) there is a rather large database of experience within the community on how to tweak your BIOS to make your system stable by way of using Prime95 as a debug tool when your overclock is not Prime95 stable.

Notice that XS falls into the (1) category just as you do. For XS their applications of interest are superPi 1M, and their usage pattern of interest is usually 1-3 runs between reboots.

My applications of interest are Metatrader 4 and Gaussian 03. Practically no one here is using these applications, so trying to debug my bad overclocks based on stability with these applications is not useful if I want help from the community. Likewise for boasting rights it matters to no one if I claim I can overclock a E8400 to 4.5GHz and run Metatrader 4.

Who cares if I can do that? It doesn't mean jack squat to anyone else (except those who run Metatrader 4) unless I put it in terms that are understood by the broader audience, which requires me to report that at best I can run an E8400 at 4.1GHz and be "Prime95 stable". That will communicate what needs to be communicated.

So you see it just comes down to whether you personally are interested in (1) or (2). Do you want to compare your overclock to other's overclocks (then you need (2)) or do you want to optimize your overclock to be specific for your software and usage patterns (then you are interested in (1)).

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
she might fall into 1, but isn't f@h just as taxing as prime 95? I know that I get much higher temps on f@h than I do on s@h at least.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
she might fall into 1, but isn't f@h just as taxing as prime 95? I know that I get much higher temps on f@h than I do on s@h at least.

Definitely. F@H is no less special than Prime95 or Linpack at taxing a computer setup, just the folks around here tend to be more likely to use Prime95 (it seems) to debug an overclock is all.

I have zero experience with F@H, I wouldn't know if it can tell me ram overclock issues from NB (FSB) overclock issues from CPU overclock issues. I do know how to have Prime95 (roughly) distinguish between these and so to do a fair number of posters.

It is certainly a democratic thing, there is no magical reason one application is "the one" for determining stable overclocks for system-to-system stability. And it isn't necessarily the most taxing.

I can pass Prime95 at overclocks that Gaussian 03 (computational chemistry software) will crash my unstable system. But I admit that only matters to me.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
still pretty impressive...

I mean that he'd waste 200 bucks to impress some poeple on an internet forum...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gothgar
still pretty impressive...

I mean that he'd waste 200 bucks to impress some poeple on an internet forum...

My guess is that he spent $200 on his hobby to entertain himself and to have some excitement from doing what he did.

That he thereafter posted pictures of his fun for a few friends to see is nothing any of us wouldn't do after going on vacation to Vegas.

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: OfficeLinebacker

Well there's really two forms of stability to be interested in, and to know when to distinguish between. (this includes XS)

There's (1) stable for my personal usage patterns and applications, and then there's (2) stable for some pre-defined usage pattern and software application which is expected to tax the system more-so than (1) does and is widely accepted as such.

What you have described is (1). For your software application of relevance and your specific usage pattern of that application your system experiences stability which you define to be acceptable to yourself. This is perfectly normal and acceptable.

However for the purpose of comparing your overclock results (my E2160 OC's to 3.6GHz, is this good or is it great!?) to those overclocks that others have achieved it is irrelevant as no one else is likely to be operating their computers exactly as you are.

That's where (2) comes in. We generally agree that Prime95 for small FFT for 8-12hrs is necessary to determine if the CPU is stable at a given clockspeed.

This is chosen because (1) Prime95 is freely available, everyone has access to the same application, (2) it is likely to stress your system more so than your specific application of interest (ergo if the computer is stable in Prime95 then it ought to be stable in your application), and (3) there is a rather large database of experience within the community on how to tweak your BIOS to make your system stable by way of using Prime95 as a debug tool when your overclock is not Prime95 stable.

Notice that XS falls into the (1) category just as you do. For XS their applications of interest are superPi 1M, and their usage pattern of interest is usually 1-3 runs between reboots.

My applications of interest are Metatrader 4 and Gaussian 03. Practically no one here is using these applications, so trying to debug my bad overclocks based on stability with these applications is not useful if I want help from the community. Likewise for boasting rights it matters to no one if I claim I can overclock a E8400 to 4.5GHz and run Metatrader 4.

Who cares if I can do that? It doesn't mean jack squat to anyone else (except those who run Metatrader 4) unless I put it in terms that are understood by the broader audience, which requires me to report that at best I can run an E8400 at 4.1GHz and be "Prime95 stable". That will communicate what needs to be communicated.

So you see it just comes down to whether you personally are interested in (1) or (2). Do you want to compare your overclock to other's overclocks (then you need (2)) or do you want to optimize your overclock to be specific for your software and usage patterns (then you are interested in (1)).

I understand. I guess the Prime95 thing is necessary to (more or less) legitimately say "this is a great OC" or "this is a decent OC."

bryan also has a point, FAH is very stressing to both the proc AND the memory. However errors are just errors--can't tell the source.

Also, I run the SMP client, which actually only uses ~96% of the system's CPU cycles, so it's not as stressing as something like Prime95.

BTW, Prime95 IS threaded, right?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: wired247
check out some car forums.... people will spend $10,000 to impress some people on an internet forum as well.

Oh yeah, That's pretty funny as well.

I draw the line on all of these kinds of things at daily usability. I put a TRD rear sway bar on my Camry and put it on the "track" setting. But it's still my daily driver.

WHen I used to mess around with my '78 Impala (also a daily driver) at a drag strip, I found it I guess kind of odd/funny that people would carry their cars on a trailer to the track. At that point they are perverting the whole concept of an "automobile" if you ask me.

I remember actually being impressed at a green Mustang that ran an 8 sec. 1/4 mile. Driver drove it to AND from the track. He may have had slicks in the trunk and changed tires, but still. 8 sec. street car. Not "street legal," drove it a few dozen miles to get there and back.