E6700 with BigTyphoon VX Temp- is it ok?

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
my idle e6700 runs at 38.5 celcius. i havent loaded it yet since i bought it today and have no windows. i thought big typhoon cools it a lot. did i do something wrong?
i applied a thin layer of thermal paste although i must say that i can slightly rotate bigtyphoon with little force, as if it slides on the paste. i dont get it. whats the problem?(if there is any)

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Well, without taking it off, see if you can get the screws a little tighter. If not, you've installed it correctly.

edit: And 38C is pretty decent for a C2D @ 2.66 Ghz. Of course the non-overclocked E6300's are going to idle a little cooler, they're ~800 Mhz slower.

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
thank you for answering myocardia. big typhoon is installed properly i guess since its level and i just had to press the pins down, just like u do with the stock cooler.
well i see reviews for big typhoon on e6700 and it runs at 20-25 degrees idle. i m thinkin, if it runs now on 40, what will happen when i ll play a 3d game ??

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Not all motherboards read temperature the same way. Also, it depends on how the heatsink was tested and the ambient temperature. It could warmer in your room versus their test room. If they test outside the case, they're usually going to have a lower temperature that way as well.

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
my room is pretty cold plus i have a high cooling case (armor jr) plus i just opened the pc and the bios reads 40! i cant believe it woble! maybe the heatpipes are cold so they dont perform yet, i dont know... I NOT IMPRESSED from bigtyphoon

Regalk

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
That temp would be normal - the one thing I do not like with the big typhoon is the fan - I am going to replace mine soon for something faster to move more air and cool better. If the speed was closer to say 2000 rpm it would be much better (I believe it runs around stock around 1300rpm)

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Your temps are great, & as for the heatpipes not getting warm, that also seems to be normal for C2Ds.

The ways temps are measured for C2Ds is different than previous A64, Pentium-Ds, etc, so reported temps are generally higher.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Also heard the E6600 and E6700 with the extra cache do have slightly higher temps anyway. I've only personally worked with the E6300/6400

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
You are not going to see that much of a difference in idle temps even across the board from cheap to average to high end air cooling...Where these things earn their worth is under loading conditions the swing or delta in temperature is far less....

A stock C2D E6600 with stock heatsink's idle temp was within 1-2c at idle to my Ninja...however under load even at stock the E6600 went to the low 50's...With my ninja scythe it never got about low to mid 40's....

The headroom is where the high end HSF will also gain you room...Those load temps need to stay low 60's and under and that is going to allow you to deal with idle temps probably in the low to mid 40's and still have acceptable load temps...

I had an E6300 that did 3.4ghz and idled at 39c (have cool house and ample case cooling) It loaded in the mid 60's...that was with a stock heatsink and about 1.42v

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
thank you everyone for the responces. seems that it idles at 40 and when loaded works at 25. unbelievable.my concern now is the stupid mobo. i bought p5b deluxe wifi ed and it has no wifi card on it >:/
my mobo is p5b deluxe

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
Ok can someone packed with knowledge tell me what to do in order to raise my e6700 from 2.66 to 3ghz without touchin the voltage? my ram is corsair xms2 800mhz 5-5-5-12. should i raise it?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: stelios4
Ok can someone packed with knowledge tell me what to do in order to raise my e6700 from 2.66 to 3ghz without touchin the voltage? my ram is corsair xms2 800mhz 5-5-5-12. should i raise it?

That memory is a crap shoot...it either does well overclocking or can't do 1Mhz past stock.

Your CPU may need more voltage to hit 3Ghz. All you can do is raise the FSb and see what happens.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: stelios4

Under Advanced > CPU Configuration i now leave everything enabled except C1E Support & PECI, which you need to disable.
Leave Modify Ratio Support enabled if you wish to use a lower multiplier. In your case, you have a default 10x multi.

In Advanced > JumperFree Configuration, we have all the main overclocking options.
Here are the settings i'd suggest to achieve 3+ GHz minimum, but which also should work for a lot higher, since you likely could easily get 3400+ MHz out of your CPU:

(Please use the setting i mention below, not my own settings in the bios screen shots)

AI Tuning = Manual
CPU Frequency = 300
DRAM Frequency = 600 or 750
PCI-e Frequency = 100
PCI = 33.33
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Memory Voltage = rated vdimm
CPU VCore Voltage = 1.4V (in Windows, this will result in lower values - around 1.36V - due to vdroop)
FSB Termination Voltage = 1.3V or auto
NB Vcore = 1.45V or auto
SB VCore = 1.5V or auto
ICH Chipset Voltage 1.057V or auto

It is extremely likely you will be able to lower a whole bunch of these voltages, but since they are by no means extreme, they are a good safe start that you can always lower later.

Now for RAM timings...
Advanced > Chipset > North Bridge Chipset Configuration.

Memory Remap Feature = Disabled
Configure DRAM Timings by SPD = Disabled
DRAM CAS# Latency (TCL/CAS) = 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (TRCD) = 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge (TRP) = 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge (TRAS) = 12
DRAM Write Recovery Time = 6
DRAM TRFC = 42
DRAM TRRD = 10
Rank Write to Read Delay = 10
Read to Precharge Delay = 10
Write to Precharge Delay = 10
Static Read Control = Disable

Aside from TRFC, in the testing/benching i have done, the last five setting affect performance in a very minimal way, so i recommend leaving them loose until you have everything else tweaked.

Good luck & keep us posted! :)

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
n7 thank u 4 the comprehensive walkthrough. i m having problems though. first of all, the cpu fsb value (266) does not change. i updated my bios today and still does not change. second, together with the bios, i updated noumerous other utilities and experience serious problems, very distrurbing considering my new mobo. i updated all asus utilities, mobo sounddriver and keyboard driver. now at 80% of the times i start, the pc freezes on the appearance of my wallpaper while few pixel sized black and white dots appear. i m very angry and formatting right now! i m writing from my notebook pc.
hope it is a software problem. anyway, whats wrong with the fsb value? do i need to disable somethin in order to let me change it? i can change all the other values, it seems.
ps. my graphics card is quite crap - 7600 gt but only 120 euros, do u know a faster driver than the latest official?

joebjoe

Oct 22, 2006
You have to set the AI tuning to manual. Then the options open up. Your bios should be about the same as N7 as you both have the same board.

The 7600GT isnt crap. It may not be a $500 card but its a decent card. Not sure what brand you got. XFX ships their 7600GT's overclocked already. PLus I was able to bump it even more. The latest Nvidia driver is fine to use. Get RivaTuner if you want to mess with settings.

Sounds like you may have messed things up a bit. If you just bought your board, just use the CD that came with it. Use the drivers and install them individually, rebooting after each one, even though it wont ask. Dont use the Auto install. Also you dont need all those asus utilities. The bios updater for Windows is nice. The other ones I found useless. Get some other utils to monitor temp etc.. Do your OC from the bios.

Hope this helps

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I don't quite understand how you cannot change the FSB.

You select it via hitting the enter key, & then you key in the number you wish.

It might be good to slowly raise the FSB higher.

Try jumping in small increments like 266 to 272 to 278 etc.

Just an FYI, those setting i listed are not what i use myself (some are, but not most).

They are good easy settings to start out with.

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
n7 i m telling u that the fsb cannot be entered!enter does not do anything, and looks locked. bios tells be on the right:press enter to change values. it does not work. do i have a defective p5b deluxe or is there a setting that keeps it locked. ai is manual.

stelios4

Nov 2, 2006
ok guys listen. i changed the fsb and now my pc is faster at 3ghz. the problem is that "enter' does not work on the fsb. i changed it with the + key of my keyboard. the minus key does not work either. i have to go with the plus key all the way to 650 to return it to 0 and then 266. the same thing happens with the modify ratio support. in all other options, enter key works normally. i ve had 3 formats in two days due to screen freezing. i believe that my mobo is defective. i ll try to return it.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I highly doubt your mobo is defective.

As for having to use the + option, i've had to do that on some mobos too.
I think it's a keyboard issue.

Have you run SP2004 Orthos or Memtest at stock speeds to verify it's stable at stock?

You have Corsair RAM, & this would be one of the zillionth times i've seen a thread in which the OP has Corsair RAM, & has issues OCing...

I wouldn't be surprised if your RAM is acting up.