E6700, MOBO, CHIPSET, RAM Q's :)

scarywoody

Nov 10, 2006
I have a Core 2 Duo E6700 on the way. I don't want to do a fullblown computer upgrade now (waiting until I upgrade to vista), but this prescott is a pile of power sucking overheating crap.

Anyway I have been trying to do some research, but I am just not that knowledgable about chipsets on the mobos. Should I get a 965, 975, or is it worth it to spend a little extra for the nvidia chipset? Is there really any noticeable difference? Also any recommendations would be great. I've always used asus but read a great review on an msi board with the p965 chipset on toms.

Also I have 2GB of DDR2 800...any opinions if I should bother upgrading to some DDR2 1066. Right now I'm just playing counter strike and ndoing the standard email, word processing, internet surfing type stuff. I'm thinking just doing this it might not be worth it to upgrade just yet.

I'd appreciate any help or opinions :) Thanks :)

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Your PC6400 RAM will be fast enough for you to run your new E6700 @ 4.0 Ghz, assuming your processor could do it, and you had much better cooling. You can use either the 965P chipset, or the 975x chipset for a Conroe, whether or not you'll be overclocking. The 975's can't hit as high FSB-wise, but, E6700's don't really need to go that high. You'd probably be just as happy with a cheaper 965P-based motherboard, whether you decide to overclock or not, I would think.