E6420 is it ok to try overclocking it with a retail heatsink/fan ?

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Has anyone overclocked their Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 before with their retail heatsink/fan ? How high did you get and what idle and load temperatures did you get? At what temperatures should you stop for idle and load ?

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
so many questions, you know, there is a search function in this forum :p

Ya should try to keep load temps below 60, and yes you can easily overclock with the retal heatsink/fan, you won't be able to go as high as some 'real' cooling though, but I reckon you can do 3ghz or so.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MarcVenice

Ya should try to keep load temps below 60, and yes you can easily overclock with the retal heatsink/fan, you won't be able to go as high as some 'real' cooling though, but I reckon you can do 3ghz or so.

The search function doesn't work properly...search for one topic and get many that are unrelated. Been that way for years.

Anyhow I agree you should probably stay to a lower overclock unless you invest in a aftermarket cooling solution.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: MarcVenice

The search function doesn't work properly...search for one topic and get many that are unrelated. Been that way for years.

Anyhow I agree you should probably stay to a lower overclock unless you invest in a aftermarket cooling solution.

How low ?

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
i would think you would be fine as long as you don't go upping your voltage very much. I think the default vcore is 1.325, right? i think most C2Ds hit about 3GHz on stock, and temps should stay reasonable as long as you don't overvolt much - maybe 1.35V at the most.

oh, and when you're testing load temps, I'd make sure to use something multithreaded - try Orthos and run the CPU stress test, that will fully load both CPUs and should give you a good idea of your max temps - try to keep them under 60C.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: gobucks
i would think you would be fine as long as you don't go upping your voltage very much. I think the default vcore is 1.325, right? i think most C2Ds hit about 3GHz on stock, and temps should stay reasonable as long as you don't overvolt much - maybe 1.35V at the most.

oh, and when you're testing load temps, I'd make sure to use something multithreaded - try Orthos and run the CPU stress test, that will fully load both CPUs and should give you a good idea of your max temps - try to keep them under 60C.

I've been running my C2D at up to 65c under load since I got it last september.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: gobucks

I've been running my C2D at up to 65c under load since I got it last september.

How many years of hardware life will this take off a whole pc ?