e6300 temps...

hokiealumnus

Sep 18, 2007
www.overclockers.com
Use the newest beta of Speedfan 4.34 or CoreTemp. 4.33 may be reporting core temperatures incorrectly. Usually it reads 15c too low however. If that's the case, you are running WAY too hot.

Speedfan v.4.34 (beta) addresses that issue. That said, if you are running even those temps, yes that's really hot. 75c is hot and is the maximum "safe" temperature. 70c is warm but much easier on your CPU. 65c is ideal for 24/7 use. Over 75c is definitely not recommended.

halluc1nati0n

Mar 3, 2007
Thanx for the quick reply.
Problem probably is I've not used good thermal paste.....
and I'm on the stock hsf.... (can't afford a dedicated cooler)

Thing is : here is the data on BIOS itself :

H/W Monitor :
CPU Temp : 60C/61C
(This starts from 36C when I start up and gradually increases to 60C and stabilises here. This point isreached after 5 mins of booting up. - This is hot right? )
Motherboard temp - hovers around 37C / 38C

CPU Fan speed = 2463 RPM
Chassis Fan Speed = N?A ( Why???)

Vcore = 1.296V
+3.30V = 3.472 V
+5.00V = 5.208V
+12.00V = 12.302V

Absolutely no OC at all.. E6300 (B2 stepping)

Any solutions? :(

hokiealumnus

Sep 18, 2007
www.overclockers.com
Ouch....B2 stepping you say? In that case, the highest you ever want to get is 60C, not 75C like I mentioned. I thought the E6300 was L2. Sorry.

For some good reading, check out this article on all you could ever want to know about C2D & C2Q chips.

B2 is the only stepping of these current chips that has an 85c Tjunction Max (as opposed to 100c). It's highly suggested to keep temps under 25c below the Tjunction Max, or 60c in your case. Tjunction = Internal Core Temperature (Core0 & Core1 in Speedfan). Speedfan was reading the correct temperatures since you've got B2 stepping (still get the beta though).

Try reseating your HSF. The stock mounting is sometimes difficult to judge and may not be seated properly. If there's a store nearby that has it, get some good TIM to put in there & clean the stock stuff off. If you order some, I now swear by Arctic Silver Ceramique for what it's worth.

Oh...and is your System fan plugged into the correct header? That's the only reason I could see why it's not reading. Or if it's a 2 pin fan.

halluc1nati0n

Mar 3, 2007
Awright.. Reattached the HSF...
Reapplied a new paste (saw that the previous thing was not well seated..)

Now I checked in the BIOS for 10 mins
CPU temp stays at 42-43-44-45C

Thanx for the help guyz!
Looks like I'm good to go!

Yeah and under load (ie. WinXP)
The temps are
Core0 = 53/54C
and Core1 = 53/54C

What'd the temp shoot up to incase of CPU-dependent applications? - say Gaming?

Now I'm ready to OC this sh1t!!

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Orthos will always take the temps higher than normal. So while gaming, your temps will be below what it was in Orthos.

In Orthos mine will hit 68C but when gaming it never goes over 55C.

tno

Mar 17, 2007
I don't know that I'd be happy with 53C just from loading Windows. If that's with your computer just sitting on the desktop with nothing running then you might still want to consider some additional investigating. What kind of case? How many case fans and how are they oriented? What are the other temperatures say for GPU or Mobo? When you say "under load" do you mean running orthos? I hope so, otherwise keep investigating.

tno

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I'm having a similar issue with heat on my E6300. I've reseated the heatsink and replaced the stock compound with arctic silver, and NO change.

Here's what I get with CPU-Z's hardware monitor:

Intel Pentium hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 39°C (102°F) [0x3D] (Core #0)
Temperature sensor 1 39°C (102°F) [0x3D] (Core #1)
which isn't bad, but look at this:
Temperature sensor 1 98°C (208°F) [0xC4] (CPUTIN)

The bios confirms the higher temp. This happens even when first starting from a cold boot. The heatsink seems fine though...

My board is an IP35-E and I have updated it to the latest v18 bios. Do I have a defective chip? Should I RMA?