E6300, Scythe Ninja Rev B, GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 TOO HOT!!!

jerrycurls

Feb 28, 2007
Hi all,

Hoping someone here can help me with my issue. Just built a new system (see specs below). Been a longtime AMD user and just switched over to the "dark side". :D The huge overclock potential won me over.

My issue is related to the temps I'm seeing whenever I overclock. At idle, I'm seeing temps in the 42-45 range. I'm using Intel's TAT to monitor temps. From researching around, the consensus is that this is the most accurate tool for core temps. When I full throttle the cores using TAT, the temps climb into the upper 60's, usually topping off at 70. I've also been monitoring the temps on my GPU and they seem on the high side as well. The idle temp is usually 70c and goes into the mid 80's when playing a game.

Doesnt seems like I'm pushing the CPU too hard. My friend has a similar machine and he only hits high 50's at full load. He's at 3ghz with those temps. It's very puzzling as to why his temps are so low. There are three main differences with our configs - videocard (x1950xt 256), psu (silverstone Element ST50EF) and case (antec solo).

Anyone have any clues to why I'm having these high temps? I've already lapped my stuff and redid the mounting. Could my PSU be the problem and causing my components to run hot?

E6300 @ 2.8ghz
vcore - 1.35
Mem + 0.2v

System Specs:
Intel E6300 (lapped with 600 and 800 sandpaper)
Scythe Ninja Rev B with 120mm fan (lapped with 600 and 800 sandpaper)
Mounting system modded with springs and machines screws
Arctic Silver 5
GigaByte GA-965P-DS3 Rev 2 F10 BIOS
OCZ OCZ2P800R22GK 2GB
evga 8800gts 320mb "superclocked"
Creative Audigy 2
1 74GB Raptor
3 300GB Maxtor 7200rpm
1 400GB Seagate Barracuda
Liteon SATA DVD Burner
OCZ Modstream 520W PSU
Antec P160 with Tricool 120mm

mgutz

Mar 1, 2007
hmmm ... you have quality stuff. you have gone beyond what i would do to cool a computer (lapping). off the top of my head, it might be airflow. do you have two 120mm fans or just one? my experience suggest a push-pull configuration (1 exhaust and 1 intake) even at low RPMs is more effective and quieter than a single high RPM fan. 3 HDD one being a raptor is a lot of heat including a 8800GTS. you might be cooling with hot air like a blow dryer. maybe consider a case with a top fan exhaust. my overclocked cpu idles at 33C and at load reaches 64C after 8 hours of SP2004 Orthos.

i have the original ninja in my other computer and it's a better HSF for CPU only cooling than the big typhoon. i would expect your temps to be at least as low as mine. i went with the big typhoon since it blows downwards helping cool the chipset. i could make this cooler but i prefer the silence.

--
E6300 @ 2800 (7x400, i can easily do 3.15 Ghz but didn't like noise or temps)
GA-965-DS3 rev 3.3 F10
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W PSU (OEM Seasonic)
4x1GB Corsair XM2 5-5-5-5-12 (+0.1 V, 1:1)
Sonata II case
2 Yate Loon D12SL-12 120mm fans exhaust/intake
Big Typhoon HSF (replaced fan with D12SL, using AS5)
Gigabyte SilentPipe 7600GT GV-NX76T256D-RH (dead silent)
WD2500KS 250 GB
WD5000AAKS 500GB (best drive for the money IMO, QUIET, large and fast)
Samsung SATA SH-S183L DVD
SoundBlaster X-fi XtremeMusic
Vista Ultimate x64

jerrycurls

Feb 28, 2007
mgutz, others have mentioned air flow as a possible cause of my issues. I connected a 120mm fan in the front last nite and didnt see much of a drop. Going to look into raising the fan speed of my GPU. That area is definitely very warm.

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
have you tried checking out another program just to get a "2nd opinion" ?

what are your non-OC temps like, idle and stessed?

have you tried doing a remount of the hsf (last??resort with that mounting system)

make sure your voltages are on par too - even if your psu should be able to handle your system fine it could be getting stressed too much (bad psu issue)

jerrycurls

Feb 28, 2007
nefariouscaine, i've ran TAT, SpeedFan and coretemp. I even ran the one that comes from gigabyte. TAT is definitely higher by a good 10c.

I'm running stock at the moment.. my machine locked up on me and i had to reset the bios. Last nite, I was hovering in the low 40's at idle and hit high 50's at full TAT load. When I run prime or orthos, the full load temp only hits about 53-55 range.

yeah, i'm thinking ANOTHER remount is in order too.

according to the gigabye util, which displays amps being used, it's only showing 12amps. The specs on my psu say i have 28a max.

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
I assume you are using the Tri-cool fan on low. Well, it doesn't do much. Replacing it with something like a Yate Loon might help (Or just try medium/high speed to see if the temp changes).

SaII

Dec 16, 2006
have you tried to reseat the heatsink?
perhaps you have applied too much AS5?
maybe you did the mounting mod wrong?

aurareturn

Jul 1, 2005
I had the same problem with my Ninja B. Basically, the mounting bracket for the new Ninja does not apply enough pressure to the CPU and thus, performance is usually very disappointing.

What you can do is do the mounting mod found on xtremesystems.org and have better pressure apply.

I did the mod, lapped my CPU, spread AS5 over the entire IHS and my temps dropped by 20c load. It used to run orthos close to 70c like your's but now it loads at around 51c.

Believe me, you're not alone. Scythe screwed up the mounting system for both the new Ninja and the new Infinity. They are no longer top performers without moding.

VooDooAddict

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: aurareturn
I had the same problem with my Ninja B. Basically, the mounting bracket for the new Ninja does not apply enough pressure to the CPU and thus, performance is usually very disappointing.

What you can do is do the mounting mod found on xtremesystems.org and have better pressure apply.

I did the mod, lapped my CPU, spread AS5 over the entire IHS and my temps dropped by 20c load. It used to run orthos close to 70c like your's but now it loads at around 51c.

Believe me, you're not alone. Scythe screwed up the mounting system for both the new Ninja and the new Infinity. They are no longer top performers without moding.

Glad I read this .. was about to drop a Ninja RevB in my new rig ... that would have been disappointing.

jerrycurls

Feb 28, 2007
aurareturn, 20c drop!?!?! wow, thats amazing.

i looked at the mount today it is very very secure. i have somewhat a working solution now...

found my northbridge was getting insanely hot (too hot to touch). mounted a 50mm fan on top using a zalman throttle control for noise and the machine is rock solid @ 2.8ghz. going to continue testing.

as of today, my temps are 39-44 range at idle and mid 50's using orthos and prime. if i use intel tat, the temp jumps to low 60's.

VooDooAddict

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
I found the Ninja/Infinity mounting mod. Looks basic enough. I went ahead and ordered the Ninja. I'll try it stock first and do the mod and some lapping work if I can't hit a stable 333FSB/3GHz with the E4300. I like to be sure it all works at stock speeds before I start voiding warranty by lapping the CPUs. After reading aurareturn's post I was just going to go with the venerable tuniq tower 120, but none of the vendors I was planning to use had it in stock.

For me the E4300 is just a stop gap till Quad core prices get more comparative, so I'm more worried about 6-9 months of stability.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Try more thermal material. Also check to see if the surface of the cpu is flat. I've seen some posts from people where the conroe ihs is pretty concave.