E6 venice 3000+ oc problem

marko29

Oct 9, 2005
Hi!
I have a problem, with oc the processor. In my board there was originallly the 1006 bios. it didnt alowed oc my processor, i didnt workd at any fsb etc.... after i flashed in the 1008 bios and after it , it allowed to overlock! i used it at 8.5*300 with 1.5 voltage, maybe i could have reduced the voltage to under 1.5 v, but it was good also so i didnt want to give a try. So it was stable at 2550mhz, prime run for a few hours, games were perfect etc.... yesterday there was a little accident in my pc. the potmeter which i tryed to use to reduce the 12 cm ventillator's speed, was smoked, there was a small sparkle, it frightened me a lot. i turned off my comp at that moment, everything is ok in my pc. but after that my pc didnt worked with this poiting that i figured out in the first part of my reply. so i cant oc my processor just like when i had the 1006 bios in my board. i flashed again the 1008 than the 1010 beta and there is no change. i have no idea what can couse this, and why, i saw that this e6 processor can be overclocked easily, but i have no idead what caused that with the new bios it allowed me to oc, and now it dont want to work , just like earlier. :(

imported_J10

Oct 15, 2005
This Sounds Crazy!
I'm sure you do not have a Floppy... Just put in your Bios that you do, that makes the overclocking work... Since I read this in a forum I Lost respect for Asus! HOW A FLOPPY COULD MAKE A OVERCLOCK WORK!!! Crazy...

With a 225Mhz FSB, 2.8v DDR, 1.55V CPU you get a good performance!
You can get more depending of you RAM, Mine does not get over 227Mhz @ CL2 and 1T

2x160GB Seagate SATA NCQ
AOPEN Geforce6600GT 128MB GDDR3
Creative Audigy

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I plugged it into Altavista translator, and this is what I got (btw, I selected: (Garbled English without punctuation or capitalization) to (English) :

Originally posted by: marko29
Hi!
I have a problem, with overclocking my processor. In my motherboard there was originallly the 1006 bios. It is the ASUS A8N-E by the way. It didnt alowed me to overclock my processor - FSB changes over 200 MHz didnt workd

After i flashed it to the 1008 bios, it allowed me to overlock! I used8.5*300 with 1.5 voltage in the BIOS (but didn't test ACTUAL voltages in Windows, which I will try to remember to do later ;) ) Maybe i could have reduced the voltage to under 1.5 v, but it worked without problems so i didnt want to give a try.

So, it was stable at 2550mhz, including a prime run for a few hours, games were perfect etc. Yesterday there was a little accident in my pc. The potmeter which i tryed to use to reduce the 12 cm ventillator's speed, was smoked, there was a small sparkle, it frightened me a lot. i turned off my comp at that moment, everything is ok in my pc. but after that my pc didnt worked with this poiting that i figured out in the first part of my reply. so i cant oc my processor just like when i had the 1006 bios in my board.

I flashed again the 1008 than the 1010 beta and there is no change. i have no idea what can cause this, and why, i saw that this e6 processor can be overclocked easily, but i have no idead what caused that with the new bios it allowed me to oc, and now it dont want to work , just like earlier. :(

OK, so I formatted your post, but please format better in the future - your post is virtually unreadable.

So, to figure out your problem, we first need to know what the heck is a "potmeter" ? Is was that something you hooked up your PSU up to to tweak the voltage rails? Because if so, that is not a good idea. Just buy a quality brand name PSU (eg. Enermax, OCZ, etc) and it will work fine and not have problems.

Anything under 1.6V with a Venice chip is fine, just make sure that 1.6V is the max actual voltage (ASUS is infamous for overvolting, so 1.5V probably is giving the max 1.6V to the chip).

What cooling are you using? Stick to the 1008 final BIOS (never use betas until you've tested stable with non-beta ones).

You will have to clarify what happened when something smoked - I can't understand what you're saying...

marko29

Oct 9, 2005
thanks for the help, i've put a floppy in it and the oc works again. damn asus what a stupid bug.

Killmenow

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: J10
This Sounds Crazy!
I'm sure you do not have a Floppy... Just put in your Bios that you do, that makes the overclocking work... Since I read this in a forum I Lost respect for Asus! HOW A FLOPPY COULD MAKE A OVERCLOCK WORK!!! Crazy...

Oh my....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA man thats HILARIOUS!!!!

dwcal

Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: J10
This Sounds Crazy!

Yeah, I had the same problem. With no floppy in the BIOS my HTT would randomly set itself to 201Mhz or 216Mhz no matter what I set in the menu. What a stupid bug.