E5800 overclock

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
No questions here, just a quick report on an overclocking job on the newish E5800. I haven't seen much mention of these, since I guess nobody cares much about such old tech :p

Nevertheless, my long love-affair with socket 775 continues - my girlfriend's PC had an old Pentium Dual Core E5200 (2.5GHz) which I've just upgraded to the E5800 (basically the same chip, but stock speed is 3.2GHz.)

Old CPU was overclocked to 3.3GHz, though it had done 3.5 a couple of years ago when it was new and was my main machine. I think it will still do 3.5, but I downclocked it when troubleshooting another issue (which turned out to be GPU related) and never bothered to return it to normal.

New CPU is now stable at 3.9GHz @ 1.375V on the same P43 motherboard. Alas 4.0 just wouldn't come stable at the most volts I was willing to give it (1.4V). It's not such a huge overclock as the old one - I guess this is as fast as they can make 'em. Still, taking into account the resale value of the old chip it's a cheap upgrade =)