E5450 vs X5450

jobejufranz

Feb 16, 2008

Hi Guys. I need some insights here.

We are currently planning to purchase a new server with 2 quad core xeon server processor.

The processor that i'm planning to suggest to my boss is either E5450 or X5450.

What i understand is that, they both have the same specs but only the TDP is different, which is E5450(80W) and X5450(120W).

Can anybody clearly explain to me the exact difference between this two as price diff here on my working place is a bit higher.

Any insights would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advaced guys.

Cheers.

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: jobejufranz

Hi Guys. I need some insights here.

We are currently planning to purchase a new server with 2 quad core xeon server processor.

The processor that i'm planning to suggest to my boss is either E5450 or X5450.

What i understand is that, they both have the same specs but only the TDP is different, which is E5450(80W) and X5450(120W).

Can anybody clearly explain to me the exact difference between this two as price diff here on my working place is a bit higher.

Any insights would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advaced guys.

Cheers.

The E5450 is just binned for the 80W instead of the 120W, there is no physical or performance difference, just lower voltage. The E's are essentially just cherry-picked to run at lower voltages.

kY

Feb 21, 2003
The X version is designed for use in UniProcessor (UP) motherboards. They are lower cost and will not work in dual socket (DP) motherboards.