• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

E5200 temperature discrepancy...

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
I'm troubleshooting this remotely, but my dad's building a rig with a P5Q-E and an E5200, and he's telling me coretemp is reading 28C on one core and 47C on the other. I'm thinking it should be somewhere in between. any thoughts? Mobo gives a single temp readout of 27C idle, and speedfan mirrors coretemps results. Thanks.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Seing as the readings are so different, I would probably reinstall the heatsink to ensure proper contact with the CPU heatspreader.

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
I had the same issue with an e5300, cores were about 10C apart, one was about 30 the other one was about 40c. Its been mounted in 3 different computers now and it still has the same issue. The only explanation I ever heard was that the temp monitors for each core were placed differently. You can remount but id bet that it wont change much

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have an e5200, and there is little or no reported difference in either core temps. Either under load or at idle. I suggest that anyone having big temperature differences consult intel, because by intel's own spec's it may be prima facia evidence of a defective chip and a warranty issue.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
interesting. Thanks for the tips guys. If a remount doesn't fix it i'll suggest calling intel.

ASK THE COMMUNITY