E4300 OC performance ?

chrism66

Mar 5, 2007
Hi All,

Well I purchased the Fry's E4300, ECS P4M800 deal a week or so ago. I am a novice over clocker. I have a few questions. First I know that this is not a very over clocker friendly combo. I can only OC to 1980MHz (9x200MHZ). The only teat I ran that matters to me is the Counter Strike Source Video Stress test. When running at 1980MHz I am loosing about 35fps. Why am I loosing fps? I think it has something to do with the PCI/AGP locks??? Also, If I did the BSEL pin mod to change the default bus speed would I again see a loss in performance? Thank for any help in advance.

Chris

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
9*200 is 1800mhz, which is stock. 1980 is 9*220. I dunno why you're losing fps, it could be a number of factors, what exactly did you do in the BIOS? If you were to do the pin mod, you shouldn't see a loss in performance, if anything you should see a gain. My understanding is that it "tricks" the board into running the processor at at 2394MHz (9*266) by making it think that the default FSB of the processor is 266 instead of 200, so the board itself would be stock, only the processor would be stressed...unless I'm mistaken.

chrism66

Mar 5, 2007
Ok, the problem has to do with the DRAM frequency settings in the bios. I have 2x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400. I just did the the pin mod and booted up with DRAM freq at "auto" setting. I saw a performance gain like I should have with the higher default bus speed. When I try to over clock I can not boot up with "Auto", "400" DRAM frequency settings. If I use the "200" setting big performance hit, "333" setting a performance hit. So it is clear that this ECS P4M800 of mine is not going to really over clock just need to stay at stock frequencies. What can I really complain about it was essentially a free motherboard with that deal.

chrism66

Mar 5, 2007
Yes the pin mod did give a good "overclock", and there is a lot more to come when I finally do make the move to Vista & hardware upgrade in the future. I can to boot at the proper DRAM frequency of 400MHz if add some extra juice voltage wise to the DRAM. But I am pretty much at the max of my current hardware at 2.4GHz, went to 2.52GHZ and did not gain any movment in my FPS.