E15: Trump's plan to ruin your engine and wallet to bail out losing trade war

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
At his rally in Iowa, President Trump said that he intends to support requiring a blend of 15% ethanol in the U.S. gasoline supply.

Why?

To further bailout farmers who are getting pounded by the trade wars.

Nearly everyone hates this plan, and ethanol blended gasoline in general.

-75% of vehicles on the road are not suited for fuels above E10. Damage to engines and fuel systems can occur.

-small engines (lawn equipment, ATVs, boats etc) fair especially badly. E0 is preferred, but hard to find due to govt mandates.

-lower mpg from Ethanol.

-Sales of higher E blends are extremely low. Not what the market wants.

-derived from corn, ETOH competes with animal feed, raising food prices

-higher levels of pollution

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Small government... o_O Fuck Trump and his shitbag party. I'm not adding anything useful to the conversation but those douches don't even want one. Fuck them all.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Elections have consequences. Cult mentality requires decoupling from forward rational thinking. When a society is dominated politically by its least rational members it will deteriorate into chaos. This is no different than a body dying of cancer.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Elections have consequences. Cult mentality requires decoupling from forward rational thinking. When a society is dominated politically by its least rational members it will deteriorate into chaos. This is no different than a body dying of cancer.

Just so you know, curing cancer usually involves physically removing it or going to extreme options like using radiation to kill it. There are no options where speaking rationally and understandingly to cancer makes it leave the body.

So I have to ask, how do you think we should cure this cancer that is killing our society?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The classic Trump solution: create a problem, then propose another problem to fix the problem you created.

Reactions: KMFJD

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
At his rally in Iowa, President Trump said that he intends to support requiring a blend of 15% ethanol in the U.S. gasoline supply.

Why?

-75% of vehicles on the road are not suited for fuels above E10. Damage to engines and fuel systems can occur.

-small engines (lawn equipment, ATVs, boats etc) fair especially badly. E0 is preferred, but hard to find due to govt mandates.

-lower mpg from Ethanol.

As a farmer friend of mine put it to me the other week, 'this Trump business is doing to farming what E15 does to my favorite truck.'

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Why?

-lower mpg from Ethanol.

Did he say that he was going to require a blend of 15%, or that he was going to remove the restrictions preventing 15%? From the articles that I read, he is removing the restriction that prevented 15% from being used in summer. That would effectively allow for people to sell it if they wanted to and would be far from a requirement.

https://apnews.com/57473db3685b48a684edff889c607732

I noticed that you did not provide a link. Can you source your claim because right now it looks 100% false.

That said, ethanol in gas is dumb. It has less energy per gallon which means you have to burn more of it to get things done. From what I remember, the net effect is actually more pollution for ethanol.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just so you know, curing cancer usually involves physically removing it or going to extreme options like using radiation to kill it. There are no options where speaking rationally and understandingly to cancer makes it leave the body.

So I have to ask, how do you think we should cure this cancer that is killing our society?
Everything will happen exactly as it must and my opinion will affect nothing. There are a number of ways the threat of cancer comes to an end from spontaneous remission to surgery, chemo and radiation to immunotherapy. Politically one would hope for course change via elections, but other less desirable solutions exist. We know the karmic effect of hate. We know what is justifiable in self defense. We know people see varying degrees of threat. Personally, I am a nobody so I have little to lose and not much that worries me. What I don’t like to see is the misery of others. Imagine separating families at the border as a means of intimidation to achieve a political goal. If wishes were horses Trump would not be a problem.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
On the plus side, at least he didn't mandate Milk being added to gasoline. ;colbert;

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's another Trump stroke job, like payments to soybean farmers. Gasoline suppliers don't blend in any more ethanol than required because it costs them money. They never will.

It's designed to keep corn farmers voting GOP & tells the base that he really, really cares. Honest.

Jan 25, 2011
How much of the US supply is E15 in winter? As far as I know there isn’t much gas above E10 no matter the time of year. I don’t see this changing much.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
That said, ethanol in gas is dumb. It has less energy per gallon which means you have to burn more of it to get things done. From what I remember, the net effect is actually more pollution for ethanol.
Correct. Less energy dense, although I don't know the specific numbers as to whether it would result in more pollution overall for the same amount of "work".

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Correct. Less energy dense, although I don't know the specific numbers as to whether it would result in more pollution overall for the same amount of "work".

The measurement is of the total cost. Cost of producing the corn, transporting more fuel as cars burn more ect. When you do total measurements, the CO2 is worse.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
He's just trying to accelerate electric vehicle adoption. Good for him!

/s

I'm retiring my gasoline powered daily driver as soon as I can.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
We have E10 here in both summer and winter blends. I think you can find E15 somewhere if you really look for it.

Back in the 90's Ford (and maybe others) were marking some pickups as "flexfuel"-meaning they could burn E10 or E15. Question-if the manufacturers had so specially engineer vehicles to burn E15 what miracle has Trump pulled to suddenly make all of today's much more complicated engines be able to run on E15?

Also be prepared to replace your lawn mower, leaf blower, snow blower, chainsaw, boat engines, etc. a whole lot faster than you currently do. Unless you go battery powered.

Reactions: Bitek

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

While I'm not happy about this and will avoid it in my older small engines when reasonably possible, there is some debate about that 75% figure for road legal vehicles.

IMO it might have been a fair number a decade ago but most vehicles from around 2000+ can handle E15 without damage, and the "average" vehicle age on the roads in the US is less than 19 years (closer to 12).

Anything made with materials that won't degrade from E10 shouldn't degrade from E15. Yes you'll get less out of a tank and yes pollute a little more and yes it makes no sense to use ethanol at all until gas becomes scarce, but vehicles old enough to be damaged are the most polluting anyway... from both design and state of decay.

It just shouldn't be a mandate, should be an option instead. Let the consumers decide and we know it's not going to reduce cost per mile.

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018

Why?

-lower mpg from Ethanol.

No one is more Anti Trump than me but whining about him going for renewable fuel sources?

All vehicles that can run unleaded can run E15 (which is the standard in EU), all vehicles made after 2002 can run anything up to E95.

Briggs & Stratton engines can be run on everclear or paint cleaner without any harm, they are damn near indestructible.

Sure, the octane is higher which means you get more power output but it does mean less mileage.

Fuck the market.

That is politics, grow sugar canes instead.

Um, no, renewable fuels are self contained when it comes to CO2 and it has a lower NOx footprint too.

Josephus312

Aug 10, 2018
Yep. That's 300k farmers vs 300+ million people or around 220 US drivers that would be negatively impacted.

Fuck the climate! Right?

Are you people completely fucking retarded?

This is adding a renewable fuel source and you dislike that because? Don't believe in climate change any more when it's Trump proposing a change?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Reactions: The_Maestro

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No one is more Anti Trump than me but whining about him going for renewable fuel sources?

All vehicles that can run unleaded can run E15 (which is the standard in EU), all vehicles made after 2002 can run anything up to E95.

Briggs & Stratton engines can be run on everclear or paint cleaner without any harm, they are damn near indestructible.

Sure, the octane is higher which means you get more power output but it does mean less mileage.

Fuck the market.

That is politics, grow sugar canes instead.

Um, no, renewable fuels are self contained when it comes to CO2 and it has a lower NOx footprint too.

Higher octane does not mean less mileage.