E0 Stepping clocking results collection (Q9650, E8600 etc)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
More on the Wolfdale temperature-sensor shortcomings from a Tom's Hardware forum post:

Wolfdale Temperature Mystery

My core temperatures are stuck at 56c/56c, and seem to rise normally under load when the actual temperatures reach that level. Under 30 iterations of IntelBurnTest, they peak at 64C/65C at room ambient around 75F.

I believe that even the TCASE sensor or the BIOS interpretation of it is "off," but it varies normally between idle and load.

I tried using Sekisui thermal tape to put a thermal sensor on edge of the IHS, but the temperature varies only between 28C and 36C. I keep thinking I could cut a small slot in the heatsink base from one edge to the center, slide in the thermal probe, and pack it with Arctic Silver Thermal (epoxy) Adhesive.

Anyone ever tried anything like that before?

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: BonzaiDuck
I keep thinking I could cut a small slot in the heatsink base from one edge to the center, slide in the thermal probe, and pack it with Arctic Silver Thermal (epoxy) Adhesive.

They keep wanting someone to insert a thermocouple into the IHS on the XS Realtemp thread to try and find the Gradient between core temp & TCase. Maybe you could help them out.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
More on the Wolfdale temperature-sensor shortcomings from a Tom's Hardware forum post:

Wolfdale Temperature Mystery

My core temperatures are stuck at 56c/56c, and seem to rise normally under load when the actual temperatures reach that level. Under 30 iterations of IntelBurnTest, they peak at 64C/65C at room ambient around 75F.

I believe that even the TCASE sensor or the BIOS interpretation of it is "off," but it varies normally between idle and load.

I tried using Sekisui thermal tape to put a thermal sensor on edge of the IHS, but the temperature varies only between 28C and 36C. I keep thinking I could cut a small slot in the heatsink base from one edge to the center, slide in the thermal probe, and pack it with Arctic Silver Thermal (epoxy) Adhesive.

I have done it in my job, but never on a CPU before. I can give you tips on what to do if you want, but be careful of killing the part. The components I worked with were prototypes, and we were testing how well the heatsinks worked at load, so I didn't have a personal stake in it (other than it was difficult to get a new part if that one died.)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm a lazy SOB -- in Texas they say "sumbitch."

I just got the word from Silverstone that they had contacted nVidia about the Tools software, and nVidia says they'll add TCASE monitoring back to the software with an upgrade late this year.

So I'm not cutting any slots in my heatpipe-cooler base -- or what's worse -- take a dremel to cut a trench in my processor's IHS.

[There's a limit to the risks I'll take. I just RMA'd a motherboard a couple weeks ago. Could you imagine the folks at Intel, when they would see a bare-copper IHS with a slot cut in it? You'd have to be a fool just to attempt RMA'ing such a disaster . . .]

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I'm a lazy SOB -- in Texas they say "sumbitch."

I just got the word from Silverstone that they had contacted nVidia about the Tools software, and nVidia says they'll add TCASE monitoring back to the software with an upgrade late this year.

So I'm not cutting any slots in my heatpipe-cooler base -- or what's worse -- take a dremel to cut a trench in my processor's IHS.

[There's a limit to the risks I'll take. I just RMA'd a motherboard a couple weeks ago. Could you imagine the folks at Intel, when they would see a bare-copper IHS with a slot cut in it? You'd have to be a fool just to attempt RMA'ing such a disaster . . .]

LOL. Yep, I wouldn't go THAT far :D~

I am going to Dremel the side of my case and mount another 120mm fan to blow on the heatsink.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
UPDATE: final E8600 OC:

4.05 GHz (10x405)
Vcore: 1.325
Stability: 9 Hours OCCT blend

Added a nice fan controller and a second fan which made a huge difference in temps.