E.T. on the atari 2600

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
Yep...I remember playing that sorry excuse for a game too! :disgust:
My favorite Atari 2600 games were Pitfall, StarMaster and Robot Tank (all by Activision). I also remember Imagic(???) putting out some decent games.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000

<< &quot;E.T. was one of the few cases where the game had to go out. They needed the game by September 1st to meet the Christmas market... they needed the game in five weeks... I spent the next few days just designing up the game and figuring out what I was going to do with it. [Then he and a few of the Atari big cheeses flew up to present it to Spielberg] And I lay out the design and we go through the whole thing and he looks at me and goes? 'Couldn't you do something like Pac-Man'?.. And I just said 'You know Steven? no. Could you do E.T. again? Could you make the same movie again?? Everybody's doing that!' But then in retrospect? it may not have been a bad idea! But the game had to be done in five weeks so you did it. What you did was design a game you could do in five weeks? and, you know? well, they didn't return all of 'em.&quot; >>

Wow, 5 weeks. Romero had how many years to make Daikatana... and it wasn't much better than ET. ;)

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000

<< E.T. on the atari 2600 >>

From this thread title, I was sure you'd found a way to run Seti on your atari ;)

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
E.T. was one of those games that i lost interest in right away...Pac-Man ruled!...also like Bezerk...and thought Raiders of the Lost Ark was cool too!...loved beating that game...:p

Schola

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have this game somewhere in the basement. I never could figure out how to play the damn thing. Good thing I got it cheap. The best game was centipede. Me and my sister would spend hours upon hours playing that game. Missle command was another of my favorites.

schola

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Maybe I'm weird but I remembered enjoying ET. I also loved playing Indiana Jones and Adventure too. Though in Adventure, the dragon looked kinda like a Big Bird but it was scary nonetheless.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I was able to make the game work... don't ask me how now, I just remember spending hour upon hours on it to figure it out...