Dylann Roof- Sentenced to death.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Question to all the life-prison proponents.

What is the benefit of life in prison? How are they being rehabilitated? How are they being productive members of society? Do they harm the rehabilitation process of non-lifers?

What does prison do for that person?

It is impossible to execute an innocent person. That is a great benefit.

Another great benefit of a life imprisonment is that it prevents the criminal from harming other innocent humans.

The point of life imprisonment is not to benefit the criminal but to protect society from him.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

What is the benefit of life in prison? How are they being rehabilitated? How are they being productive members of society? Do they harm the rehabilitation process of non-lifers?

The case against capital punishment & such was legislated by western liberalism around the time of desegregation, so you're a little late to that party. Prison in general isn't for that person, but rather reflects on the rest of us in society.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
It is impossible to execute an innocent person. That is a great benefit.

Another great benefit of a life imprisonment is that it prevents the criminal from harming other innocent humans.

The point of life imprisonment is not to benefit the criminal but to protect society from him.

So how are the rehabilitating criminals protected against a person who is sentenced to life in prison without parole?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
So how are the rehabilitating criminals protected against a person who is sentenced to life in prison without parole?

For instance, if Dylan Roof was sentenced to life, how would the other criminals be protected from him?

That is what minimum and medium security institutions are for. If somebody is in a maximum security institution, they are a predator with little to no hope of rehabilitation.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
For instance, if Dylan Roof was sentenced to life, how would the other criminals be protected from him?

That is what minimum and medium security institutions are for. If somebody is in a maximum security institution, they are a predator with little to no hope of rehabilitation.

Yes that is exactly my question.

Where does a 10-20 year manslaughter go? If there is a separate institution for life without possibility for parole, then I can accept your point as valid.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Breaking society is beneficial to "the media". A business that depends on a functioning civil society deliberately sets out to destroy that same society. Yep. Makes perfect sense.
A fearful, gullible, ignorant and blindly trusting society is what they want. That is what they have.

The more fear and division they can spread, the better it is for the powers that be (including the government and the elites).

That is why you see news stories such as these being promoted on a daily basis. They are very, very selective on what makes the news.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Life Sentence is good because if somebody is falsely convicted of a crime, they may have a chance to get out and enjoy some of their freedom and life again.
Death is permanant and cannot be undone.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Life Sentence is good because if somebody is falsely convicted of a crime, they may have a chance to get out and enjoy some of their freedom and life again.
Death is permanant and cannot be undone.

So what about the people "dead to rights" as they say. With their guilt NOT proven circumstantially? Dylann Roof for example?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The sooner he is dead the better, but this is no cause for celebration. I'd love to know what his childhood was like and where he learned such hatred. He wasn't born a racist killer, but he is an adult now and responsible for his actions and lack of any remorse.
This. Put him down quietly like any diseased animal, but it's no cause for celebration. But it IS at least evidence that our legal system is at least sometimes a justice system.

And personally, I don't give a flying rat fuck about remorse. He could show all the remorse in the world, it's not giving those people back to their families.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
well-bye-animated-gif.gif

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So what about the people "dead to rights" as they say. With their guilt NOT proven circumstantially? Dylann Roof for example?
More or less I drew a line in the sand and decided I didn't like the state having the power to kill it's own people, no matter how sure we all are the person deserves death.
If you allow the government to kill one person who really deserves it, then you likely will allow the govenment to kill more people who really deserve it, and eventually, you will fuck up and kill somebody who you thought really deserved it, but who actually maybe didn't.

I believe opposing the death penalty is the only way to be 100% certain you can never execute an innocent person.

That said, I personally wish Dylann Roof suffers miserably and painfully until he goes cold, and then his limbs (which were separated from his body when he was alive and conscious) are tied to the back of garbage trucks and dragged around the country as symbols to what happens to dipshit spree killers.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There are many perspectives about punishment, but I'll go with the most basic one regarding the death penalty.

If you are in prison and are found to be wrongly convicted it is a tragic mistake and compensation galore given. No, it will not give back the years taken but some mitigation can be had.

Now if a person is wrongly executed, how do you make it up to that individual? You can throw money at survivors, but not a thing to make it up to the dead guy. There is no restitution possible when you kill an innocent.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
That said, I personally wish Dylann Roof suffers miserably and painfully until he goes cold, and then his limbs (which were separated from his body when he was alive and conscious) are tied to the back of garbage trucks and dragged around the country as symbols to what happens to dipshit spree killers.

I agree 100% on the death penalty. I just don't trust our government with that power.

Regarding Roof, I believe mental illness had as much to do with this as racism. He shares this in common with many if not most mass killers. Roof has mental illness and suffers on a scale unimaginable to those who have never been attacked by their own minds. Wishing more suffering on Roof will provide no relief for the family of his victims, scholarship funds in the names of Roof's victims would be a more positive outlet.

Aside: I can't let this go.... you will notice that the shooting was in a Christian church. Supposedly those victims are all in Heaven with God and are happier than at any time in their existence. You will notice that NOBODY is acting like they actually believe this, they KNOW that sadly the victims' existences are simply over.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Those arguments mentioning the innocent, sure as hell do not apply to this case.
There is no possibility that he is innocent.

A proper system would humanely execute Roof this year.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Those arguments mentioning the innocent, sure as hell do not apply to this case.
There is no possibility that he is innocent.

A proper system would humanely execute Roof this year.

There is no such thing as a humane execution. At the very least, executions subject their victims to psychological torture.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I agree 100% on the death penalty. I just don't trust our government with that power.

Regarding Roof, I believe mental illness had as much to do with this as racism. He shares this in common with many if not most mass killers. Roof has mental illness and suffers on a scale unimaginable to those who have never been attacked by their own minds. Wishing more suffering on Roof will provide no relief for the family of his victims, scholarship funds in the names of Roof's victims would be a more positive outlet.

Aside: I can't let this go.... you will notice that the shooting was in a Christian church. Supposedly those victims are all in Heaven with God and are happier than at any time in their existence. You will notice that NOBODY is acting like they actually believe this, they KNOW that sadly the victims' existences are simply over.

I agree with you and everything in your post, including all of the small print..
Vengeance is not rational or logical. Vengeance is a desire to pacify an unquenchable thirst.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

If the state turns out to be wrong in its conviction it's a lot easier to release someone from prison than to un-kill them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
More or less I drew a line in the sand and decided I didn't like the state having the power to kill it's own people, no matter how sure we all are the person deserves death.
If you allow the government to kill one person who really deserves it, then you likely will allow the govenment to kill more people who really deserve it, and eventually, you will fuck up and kill somebody who you thought really deserved it, but who actually maybe didn't.

I believe opposing the death penalty is the only way to be 100% certain you can never execute an innocent person.

That's pretty much where I stand. While emotionally I would love to execute some of these motherfuckers, giving the state license to kill is more dangerous. Especially if you get the wrong government forces in power.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Two quick facts:
In 2014 there were 61 people on Federal death row.
Since 1988 only 3 Federal death row inmates have been executed.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Another story to always keep the racial tensions simmering.

Your media is trying to start a race war and people cannot see it.

How so? Racist asshole did some racist shit and has been sentenced to death for it, the absolute harshest penalty that could possibly be handed down. How in the hell is that trying to incite a race war?