Dylann Roof- Sentenced to death.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Well, I had another colorful thought.

The news announced that Charlie Manson had been taken to the hospital at Corcoran. It looks as though he could be ready to punch out soon.

Dylan Roof may as well punch out soon, but there will be appeals -- maybe. Or maybe he doesn't care. But he could punch out soon, too.

As "Exorcist Redux," we now have "It" in the White House. The devil will always find a way . . . .

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another story to always keep the racial tensions simmering.

Your media is trying to start a race war and people cannot see it.
If it will make you feel better, Bannon is considering recommending to Trump that Roof be pardoned

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
He does deserve death for what he did, but we should be above doling that out. He should live a long life under incarceration facing what he did. We shouldn't make him a neo-nazi martyr.

Nov 29, 2006
I always here as one of the excuses for not executing people is because it's expensive. Has anyone tried to start a gofundme page to pay for it :) there would be plenty of money in no time lol

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
But what's the point of keeping people who will never get out of jail alive?

I don't care about them. It's more about the victims friends and family who then get tied to the killer's fate for the next several decades as the appeals and process drags out.

I had a friend in HS who was murdered and killer sentenced to death. It doesn't bring any peace.

I'd rather see them dropped into a hole and never heard from again.

Reactions: paperfist

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
They should strip him naked, put his head inside of a fish's mouth, take a couple hundred or so humiliating photos, rape him and then eventually torture and murder him. A pretty humane punishment I say.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I don't care about them. It's more about the victims friends and family who then get tied to the killer's fate for the next several decades as the appeals and process drags out.

I had a friend in HS who was murdered and killer sentenced to death. It doesn't bring any peace.

I'd rather see them dropped into a hole and never heard from again.

Sorry for your loss.

I have never been in that situation. I always thought it was preferable to have the killer executed so that the victim's family didn't have to live with the thought that the killer still gets to live and breathe while their loved one does not.

Reactions: soulcougher73
Dec 10, 2005
They should strip him naked, put his head inside of a fish's mouth, take a couple hundred or so humiliating photos, rape him and then eventually torture and murder him. A pretty humane punishment I say.
Jeez... good thing you're not in charge. That's just barbaric.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All they have to do is put him in prison with no oversight. Pay inmates everyday he is alive. They will torture him for the next 20-30 years.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Sorry for your loss.

I have never been in that situation. I always thought it was preferable to have the killer executed so that the victim's family didn't have to live with the thought that the killer still gets to live and breathe while their loved one does not.

Thank you. My loss was small compared to others.

It was a long time ago, so perspectives change.

Initially I was very angry and wanted to see him die, horribly. I signed the petition to ask for the death penalty at the memorial.

The trial and conviction happen quickly, then the clock starts.

Years go by. Appeals. The occasional local news piece as they come up.

Your life moves on. College. Girlfriends. Marriage. Houses. Kids. Career.

Yet the killer is frozen in time. They do nothing else but age. The guy was young and fierce, but they get older and fatter. Begins balding. Prison life is hard and it shows.

They are no longer dangerous and scary, he just gets rather pathetic and beaten down.

I don't have much connection to the time and feelings I had. My life has moved on. Anger and hatred now just wanes between pity and apathy.

Seeing the killer executed after all this time gives me nothing. I don't know if I've forgiven the killer, but it doesn't bring anyone back.

IDK, it's hard to explain, but anymore my thoughts are more concerned about my own growth and enlightenment vs my response at the time. If I saw the killer executed, seeing the ruined state he's in and knowing I voted for this, IDK, feels more like a stain on my spirit rather than delivery of justice. I'm not religious in any way, but I think I understand now what christian teaching means about forgiveness versus vengeance.

He's on a reprieve, so who knows if it would ever happen. Not everyone feels the same way, but for me, it just doesn't matter anymore. He's beaten, it's over either way, but I feel smaller for being involved in it.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Absolutely hilarious how desperate the race resentment archetypes here are to prove they're anything but. Apparently between ethnofacism and klan lynching is where they draw the line.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
But but but...

He needs help. Daddy spanked him hard when Roofie was a little babie. :(

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
The 6th Amendment gives the right to the defendant to a speedy trial. It should also be used as a right to speedy enforcement of the ruling.

This guy to me gave up his right to live. He's admitted to it, with zero evidence to suggest anyone else helped or did it. He premeditated the murders. Is of sound mind, as much as anyone who would do this. Has zero remorse, and claims its the right thing to do. He's forfeited his right to live in my opinion.

He may be a "clear-cut" case of someone deserving the death penalty, but I don't think we should be executing people. It's somewhat barbaric, imperfect, expensive, and faces an ever-expanding definition of "clear-cut" that will lead to further problems. Just toss him in prison for life - he'll grow old and be forgotten about by society.

His acts were "somewhat barbaric". I would encourage you to look at how expensive life in prison on death row is, before you try to use the argument that following through with the execution is "expensive". He is young, and if he stays alive to the average age, it would be many times over more expensive than executing him. It's also only "expensive" to execute someone because price gouging and not using alternate methods

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
His acts were "somewhat barbaric". I would encourage you to look at how expensive life in prison on death row is, before you try to use the argument that following through with the execution is "expensive". He is young, and if he stays alive to the average age, it would be many times over more expensive than executing him. It's also only "expensive" to execute someone because price gouging and not using alternate methods

"Life in prison on death row" is an incorrect qualifier. Persons sentenced to life in prison aren't housed on death row where costs are much higher. Numerous studies have concluded that life in prison is less expensive for taxpayers than execution. That's also because several groups having moral objections to the death penalty will fight in court until the last moment & authorities must defend the sentence at every step. It doesn't work that way with a life sentence.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
He may be a "clear-cut" case of someone deserving the death penalty, but I don't think we should be executing people. It's somewhat barbaric, imperfect, expensive, and faces an ever-expanding definition of "clear-cut" that will lead to further problems. Just toss him in prison for life - he'll grow old and be forgotten about by society.

Agree 100%.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

Assertion with no evidence at all.

Average Cost for death penalty case: $1 million
Average Cost life imprison case: $600 thousand

So: 400k + Average Cost of execution ($100K) = 500K more expensive

http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/15519792/what-costs-more-the-death-penalty-or-life-in-prison

I can find multiple references that prove life imprisonment is cheaper. I can't find a single one backing your assertion. Expense is not a valid argument to support the death penalty giving the wealth of empirical data we have proving the opposite.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
"Life in prison on death row" is an incorrect qualifier. Persons sentenced to life in prison aren't housed on death row where costs are much higher. Numerous studies have concluded that life in prison is less expensive for taxpayers than execution. That's also because several groups having moral objections to the death penalty will fight in court until the last moment & authorities must defend the sentence at every step. It doesn't work that way with a life sentence.

People on death row, can spend their life in prison and not be executed. You didn't understand what I was trying to say, I probably could have explained it better.

Yes, death row inmates cost more per year, link I saw said 90k more per year. I also said sentencing should be swift, like the trial is guaranteed to be. No dragging out out, deny frivolous attempts to fight it. Which as you said, make expense go up. All the more reason to enforce sentencing faster.

The actual execution is not expensive compared to housing someone indefinitely. And executions could be much cheaper if they used alternate methods. He's very young, could spend 60+ years in prison. That's an incredible amount of money tax payers will pay, and that's if everything is going good, such as no major health issues which would skyrocket the expense.

He's had his fair trial, everything else should also go fast. So yes, "life in prison" while on death row will be very expensive. I'm not arguing someone sentenced to life in prison over someone sentenced to death. There is no reason every valid appeal (if any) and the sentencing couldn't happen this year. Which would be far less expensive that housing him till he died of old age. That's my point.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Question to all the life-prison proponents.

What is the benefit of life in prison? How are they being rehabilitated? How are they being productive members of society? Do they harm the rehabilitation process of non-lifers?

What does prison do for that person?