Question Dying Vid Card or Corrupt Windows OS?

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Having a PITA problem for the last few months. Until now, I just kind of limped along and was like 'meh' and ignored it. But I can’t any longer as I’ve lost some data. On a regular basis, my screen will flicker, go black, and the shortly after my 4k monitor (set to 4k resolution), will drop to 1024x768 resolution. The video card driver 'crashing' seems to happen usually when in Photoshop or Firefox has been open for a few days and it's run out of memory (I have 16GB of PC RAM). Almost like the video card has 'crashed' and loading the generic Win video card drive as it seems to of lost the physical video card. Or something like that. Also, occasionally when apps don't crash, or the basic Win video driver is used, the monitor screen will just go black and I verified it isn't a cable or monitor sleep mode issue. I have a GeForce 750 card I bought 2-3 years ago. What I have tried:

-Update to the latest GeForce drivers.
-Ran check disk and SFC /DSIM scan repair option.

I also noticed when into Windows, there is a plugin that would always work and recently when I click on the shortcut it won't launch. No error. Nothing. I reinstalled it and same problem. So, then I created a second local windows user account with Admin rights. The same exact plugin opened right away, which tells me my original Windows account is not healthy. However, I had the same video driver 'crash' and then it loaded the generic Windows basic video driver.

Do you think it's a dying video card or a bad Windows install or corrupt user profile? I have Win 10 1803 with the latest patches and GeForce drivers.

-

Guru

May 5, 2017
If you've properly uninstalled drivers(used DDU tool) and uninstalled in safe mode and tried few different drivers to make sure its not a driver issue, then it's entirely possible that your GPU is dying.

What CPU do you have, does it have IGP? If so, try running on your IGP and see if there is a problem, if not, its 99% that your GPU is dying.

What you can do additionally is monitor your GPU info, what frequency its running at, what voltage, what fan speeds, what temperature, make sure its not overheating or something of that sort.

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
If you've properly uninstalled drivers(used DDU tool) and uninstalled in safe mode and tried few different drivers to make sure its not a driver issue, then it's entirely possible that your GPU is dying.

What CPU do you have, does it have IGP? If so, try running on your IGP and see if there is a problem, if not, its 99% that your GPU is dying.

What you can do additionally is monitor your GPU info, what frequency its running at, what voltage, what fan speeds, what temperature, make sure its not overheating or something of that sort.

Thanks guru. For the GeForce driver uninstall, I just did it via Programs in control panel. Nothing heavy duty scrub outside of that. Nor did I try this in safe mode. Yes my mobo does have integrated graphics, I think. I can try using that for a few days. It it's still happening, then it's a windows-o-fun-wipe-down-time. But if I was going to monitor the hardware of the current card, GPU CPU, heat, etc, how do I do that?

Guru

May 5, 2017
Thanks guru. For the GeForce driver uninstall, I just did it via Programs in control panel. Nothing heavy duty scrub outside of that. Nor did I try this in safe mode. Yes my mobo does have integrated graphics, I think. I can try using that for a few days. It it's still happening, then it's a windows-o-fun-wipe-down-time. But if I was going to monitor the hardware of the current card, GPU CPU, heat, etc, how do I do that?
you can monitor with gpu-z or hwinfo or msi afterburner.