• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

DX11 vs DX10 Video

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
That benchmark has been posted before, and it really exaggerates how bad DX10 looks.(A flat slide instead of stairs? DX10 and DX9 games have had stairs that look just as good as those DX11 ones for years)

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I think most DX10 vs DX11 videos or screenshots are going to show DX11 as being better. There is pretty much an industry wide agenda to promote "the next big thing" to consumers. MS wants to push DX11, GPU makers want to push DX11, game development houses wants to push DX11.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
That benchmark has been posted before, and it really exaggerates how bad DX10 looks.(A flat slide instead of stairs? DX10 and DX9 games have had stairs that look just as good as those DX11 ones for years)
I agree the first stair comparison wasn't as good as the others. (In another part of that benchmark the DX10 stairs looked better.)

But all the other comparisons (shingles on roof, etc) were pretty striking IMO. I just wish more could be done with trees, etc.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
still, it has potential. level of detail clearly is improved with such techniques.
anyways videos and screenshots don't convey some of the graphical improvements we get now light better lighting and subtle improvements in polycount very well, you have to see it in person.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Exactly my thoughts.

And another thing - the flat rocks on the paths? Crysis has 3D rocks similar to DX11 mode in that benchmark, and Crysis did it using DX9...

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
that isn't the point. if crysis did it with a heavier burden on the graphics card then its not really comparable. if crysis were originally made for 11 it would look even better is the point after all. the demo is clearly artistically poor which detracts from any point the guys trying to make. but fundamentally the increase in complexity will yield in better graphics.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
And another thing - the flat rocks on the paths? Crysis has 3D rocks similar to DX11 mode in that benchmark, and Crysis did it using DX9...
Yeah but we shouldn't forget how much graphics power Crysis needed.

You already could do a lot of things you can do in DX11 in DX10 or 9, but - at least in theory - it should be much more effective. Though at the moment it doesn't seem so.

ASK THE COMMUNITY