Dwarf Fortress

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I haven't noticed anyone mentioning Dwarf Fortress around here, or should I call it..

SLAVES TO ARMOK: GOD OF BLOOD
CHAPTER II: DWARF FORTRESS

For a free game, Dwarf Fortress is truly amazing. The game is remarkably open, complex, and, at times, unpredictable. The only downside is the graphical presentation, but I don't really mind playing a game that looks years old. Plus, the lack of graphical prowess seems to open up more options for gameplay.

The vanilla version of thte game can be found here.

However, I at least recommend downloading a tile set, as the default graphics are a bit lacking and confusing.

I use the tile set offered here. This site offers the tileset and game in one bundle, so you can disregard the earlier link if you want to use this tileset.

A semi-comprehensive list of other tilesets can be found here.

For those of you who I somehow convince to try the game for the first time, I recommend using this guide, as if offers very useful advice that will help you ease your way into the game. After following all the directions from there, you can expand your knowledge by freely playing and experiencing the many facets of the game.

Still, I recommend the Dwarf Fortress Wiki to be open at all times, as you will help many questions that need answers while playing.

Though the game may not seem that attractive at first, I highly recommend everyone try it. The community is great, the support is abundant, and the game is (in my opinion) phenomenal.

And remember, "Losing is fun!"

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
I've heard good things about this one. I tried the standard version a while ago, but I didn't really get into it. I'll may give it another try with a new tileset and help from all your other links.