DVR - Create a dvd of recorded media?

ColemontHD

Banned
Oct 4, 2006
Guys. I have Time Warner cable. I also have HD and an HD DVR. I was wondering if it is possible to bring the recorded media over to my laptop and burn it to a dvd. I have an external drive and the dvr has the USB connection on it. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks!

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: ColemontHD
Guys. I have Time Warner cable. I also have HD and an HD DVR. I was wondering if it is possible to bring the recorded media over to my laptop and burn it to a dvd. I have an external drive and the dvr has the USB connection on it. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks!

If it's not encrypted, and they have the cable box/DVR set up so you can pull the streams off via USB or Firewire, sure. If you burn standard DVDs, it will not be HD, but you could burn a DVD-R of the MPEG2 streams and then watch them in HD on any computer.

If it's encrypted or the USB is not enabled, you could get an external video capture box and record the output while playing back the files, but the quality would be lower and it won't be HD.