DVI-to-HMDI or VGA

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
My HTCP had both VGA and DVI on the video card.
My TV has a HMDI connection and several component connections.

Which will give me a better picture. If I use a DVI to HMDI cable will it down grade my picture to 480p? I pretty sure the VGA to component cable I got can do 720P and 1080I resolutions.

One more questions. If my tv can only do 1080i can I still send it a 1080P signal and it will work?

mcmikemc

Jan 20, 2005
It should not downgrade your picture. DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing just a different form factor ( Plus HDMI supports audio ). If your TV supports 1080i or 720P on the HDMI port I would use the HDMI port.

Does your TV support an incoming 1080p signal? I don't know. This is something you will have to find out on your own. The best resource for you is this web site http://www.avsforum.com/

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
I heard that most HDMI ports needs some type of digital managment code, and that video cards don't have them. So if they don't have the code then all media is reduced to 480P. I guess I have to go back to avsforum. Thier site is so slow and hard to manage, but they do have the best informaton if you can find it.

framerateuk

Apr 16, 2002
It will only get downscaled (or most likely, not displayed at all) if the content on the PC is protected by HDCP. So unless your viewing anything protected on your PC, then your TV will have no problem dispaying it at the correct resolution.

mcmikemc

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: framerateuk
It will only get downscaled (or most likely, not displayed at all) if the content on the PC is protected by HDCP. So unless your viewing anything protected on your PC, then your TV will have no problem dispaying it at the correct resolution.

Bingo!!!

Plus from what I have read the Movie studios will not start using that media flag untill 2010. I know all the HD-DVDs out now don't have the flag.

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
Thanks. I defination going with the HDMI cable.
I guess my TV is plug-and play becuase the vidoe card know what my TV was a gave me addition HDTV settings I could use. They gave me the regular 720P, 1080i and 1080p, but hey also game me 2 underscan settings that me actually see the tool bar for both 720p and 1080i. I could not even get to these setting when I was using component. Very sweet picture now. Any one with a modern video card give the DVI a try.