DVI to HDMI - No Sound

jk1900

Oct 7, 2008
I spent some time looking around and could not find the answer. I figured you guys could give me a hand.

I have a HIS ATI 4890 and an acer H233H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161276) and I am using the converter from DVI to HDMI on the card and am using a new HDMI cable to the monitor. From what I can tell, this should be transmitting sound (audio on the GPU), but it is not. My drivers are up to date. Am I missing a certain setting or the like?

Thanks in advance

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Do you have the HDMI Audio driver set as your sound output?

Also, are you using the adapter that came with your video card or a different one?

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
DVI doesn't carry sound, only HDMI so if you are using DVI you are SOL.

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
Actually, depending on your card DVI can carry sound through a DVI-HDMI converter. I'm using a 9600 GSO (needed to buy an audio cable) in my HTPC running sound through HDMI and I know it also works with my HD4850. I think you should listen to Absolution75 and check your sound option in control panel and change the playback device. I'm not in front of my home PC, but the name for it will be somewhat obvious.

JM Popaleetus

Oct 1, 2010
heatware.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#HDMI_Audio_Support

As of 2010, there is a transition occurring for home TV monitors away from DVI towards HDMI as the common connector format. While DVI is pin-compatible with HDMI, DVI does not support audio while HDMI does. This creates an audio hardware limitation for people that want to connect their desktop computer (which typically uses DVI) to an LCD or plasma monitor (which may only have HDMI inputs).

The computer user is typically forced to run audio separately from another audio connector on their computer to the TV monitor, using either 1-channel analog RCA cables, or a digital audio cable. It is not possible to "inject" a SPDIF digital audio signal directly into a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Some ATI and NVIDIA video cards with DVI outputs offer HDMI audio output, though this is done using the DVI connector pins in a non-standard way, using a special custom DVI to HDMI adapter to route the audio out to the HDMI on the correct pins.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Yes, 4800-series Radeon cards support audio with their DVI-HDMI adapter, but only with the one that came with it or otherwise from ATI, since it has a specific pin-out to transmit audio.

- Make sure that you have the ATI audio enabled as mentioned before in Windows and that the monitor's OSD controls also are set for HDMI audio if needed.
- Your volume might need to be high to hear sound (they are monitor speakers after all). Set it high both in your OS (~100%) and the monitor's OSD (at least 50%).

Beyond that the monitor might not support HDMI audio.