DVD/VRC combo player...yay or nay?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm looking to piece together a second cheapie HT setup in my basement. I've already got the receiver (thanks MichaelD! :)), TV, and speakers. I just need a halfway decent DVD & VCR. I can get this Samsung V2000 unit for $180 this weekend at best buy. It supports pretty much everything that I would need/want, and the price is pretty decent. The remote also has built in compatibility with my Samsung TV, so that's a bonus too.

Any reason I should avoid it? Yes, I do realize that if one part craps out, there is a good chance the other part tanks as well. I've already considered that aspect. Would I be better off just getting a stand alone DVD player, and a VCR?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I don't like all-in-one units because if one breaks, you've either got half a working piece of equipment or it could screw up the other component in it.

Other than that, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't buy it. :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Considering you can pick up separates for not much more, I wouldn't bother with a combo unit.

Is there any particular reason you need VHS support?

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Because I've got about 200+ VHS movies :D

Blech.

Anyway, you can get a pretty nice DVD player for under $100 (Panasonic DVD-RV31S or RV31K depending on whether you want silver or black), and there are plenty of VCR's in the sub $100 range.

That's what I would do.

Viper GTS

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Wow! Thanks for the link werk. I'm hesitant to purchase a refurb VCR/DVD player, but at $55, can you really go that wrong???

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My parents have the Samsung V1000 and they are pretty happy with it. I have a Samsung VR9260 (VCR only) and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. I think it is probably one of the best VCR's available currently. It has tons of features. BTW, I don't recommend Panasonic VCR's anymore. Their newer ones are TOTAL junk.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I'm torn between saying yes and no. I love the convenience/space saving benefits of having a combo unit. Another plus for me is I rarely use my VCR, I mean rarely maybe twice a year if that. Also wouldn't be there be less wires, less input stuff, less electrical outlets being used?

Then again you could buy a nice DVD Player for $99 - $130ish and a solid Panasonic VCR for around $59.

I've had my eye on this GoVideo DVD/VCR combo at CostCo B&M, it isn't cheap it's around $229 but I've read great things about it.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
I've had my eye on this GoVideo DVD/VCR combo at CostCo B&M, it isn't cheap it's around $229 but I've read great things about it.
Ross, did you completely miss the HD post I linked??? You're slipping!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Ross, did you completely miss the HD post I linked??? You're slipping!

No and I'm not slipping. I actually saw that thread in HD minutes after it was posted, so there!

:p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I really do use VHS a lot. The local video store has 3 for 3 for 3 rentals regularly. 3 movies, 3 nights, 3 bucks. Not a bad deal. 99% of their selection is on VHS. I don't really care honestly. Most of the movies I watch, comedies and suspense, really don't loose too much in VHS format. I don't need to watch a comedy in widesceen format with a full DTS soundtrack. It simply is not necessary. VHS is more than suitable.

For an action/sci-fi movie. Yes, the benefits are there. But for most others, cheap magnetic tape is sufficient.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Then I would buy separate components, Sony makes a nice proggressive scan DVD Player so does Toshiba and JVC.

As for a VCR I'd head to your local Sam's Club or CostCo and buy a nice Panasonic or JVC they make the best consumer grade VCR's out there. The $59 CostCo Panasonic I saw was 4 head, hi-fi stereo, nice universal remote which GLOWS IN THE DARK!!! and comes with Commercial Advance.

oh and it had their dynamorphus heads.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
and a solid Panasonic VCR for around $59

As I've stated before, Panasonic does NOT make solid VCR's anymore. If you want to get a good Panasonic you would have to buy a 6+ year old unit. Their newer VCR's (and TV's and other electronics) are total junk. Just go look at the reviews at any site that has them (Epinions, Amazon, Circuit City, etc.). I'll bet you a buck you would regret buying any current Panasonic VCR! :p

max105

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
Like what some of the others said here before, I would recommend against buy any combination units. It's better off to buy separate units so that its easier to upgrade or repair either unit without having to do so with both.

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Because I've got about 200+ VHS movies :D

Blech.

Anyway, you can get a pretty nice DVD player for under $100 (Panasonic DVD-RV31S or RV31K depending on whether you want silver or black), and there are plenty of VCR's in the sub $100 range.

That's what I would do.

Viper GTS

Panasonic DVD players are junk, I bought The DVD-R31K and it broke on me within a few months. The Disc would skip like crazy and all the dvds were brand new without scratches, sometimes the drive door wouldn't open had a hard time getting the disc out. I would rather go for a Philips DVD player or a Pioineer.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nay. Let VHS die like the slut it is.

Panasonic DVD players are junk, I bought The DVD-R31K and it broke on me within a few months. The Disc would skip like crazy and all the dvds were brand new without scratches, sometimes the drive door wouldn't open had a hard time getting the disc out. I would rather go for a Philips DVD player or a Pioineer.
Nay again. You had a bad unit. Go to any HT forum and you'll find out the RV31 is arguably the best budget DVD player in existance. Philips is sh*t, but Pioneer is fine.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Damn you vi_edit for putting this idea into my Ferengi head. Last weekend I saw a combo Toshiba DVD/VCR for $199 at CostCo B&M (this might be it). I can sell my current Toshiba DVD Player for $75 and I can sell my ProScan VCR for $100 meaning this would only cost me $24 out of pocket. Another plus is my TV is a 27" Toshiba Cinema Series so this may mean one less remote.

Woohoo the VCR comes with COMMERCIAL SKIP and auto clock set!

The Toshiba combo was at the end of the electronics aisle so I think this may be a limited time offer.