dvd playback problems

mastermynd27

Dec 24, 2001
I am running XP pro with a toshiba dvd drive. I had the same problem a while back and managed to fix it somehow, but now that I reinstalled windows the problem is back.

What happens is that when i play a dvd (using media player, windvd, or any other program) it will play fine for about 10 minutes, then the picture will just freeze (the sound keeps playing) and I have to keep restarting the program to finish the movie. I have tried doing the windows update, installing different dvd programs and all sorts of other things, but I cannot figure out how to fix this problem. help is appreciated

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Have you checked if Windows is using a UDMA mode to access the DVD drive? Look at the disk controller entries in Device Manager.

Uninstall all the DVD player software on your system (except Media Player, you can't uninstall that). Then reinstall only one, either the ATI player, PowerDVD, or WinDVD. Many players don't like it if other players are installed. Windows Media Player will only play DVD's if you have a 3rd party DVD program installed.

You do have the DVD drive connected to a regular on-board IDE port, yes? Not a RAID controller or add-on card?

Hope this helps, I'm not sure what else to check...

Prototype

Jan 20, 2002
I just installed a Toshiba 1612 drive...and I'm having problems as well.
Keep getting audio distortion, and video slow down whenever I play a disc.

I updated all my drivers, tried 3 different DVD players, and reinstalled the drive...but still nothing.
Anybody have a clue what else it could be?

btw...it's using 85% of my CPU (Athlon 1.4) when a DVD is trying to play...is that alright, or way to high?

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: Prototype
I just installed a Toshiba 1612 drive...and I'm having problems as well.
Keep getting audio distortion, and video slow down whenever I play a disc.

I updated all my drivers, tried 3 different DVD players, and reinstalled the drive...but still nothing.
Anybody have a clue what else it could be?

btw...it's using 85% of my CPU (Athlon 1.4) when a DVD is trying to play...is that alright, or way to high?

Wow, that's way too high for a CPU that powerful. You on an ATI card as well?