DVD performance ATI vs Kyro II vs GF 2

TheBlindMan

Jun 8, 2001
From what I've read in this topic and elsewhere it seems like the GF 2 cards generally lack in DVD playback whereas the ATI cards excel. How about the Kyro II? Anyone had any experiences good, bad or otherwise?

powervr2

Mar 11, 2001
if you have better than 400 mhz you will get great dvd support with kyro 2...

I have a duron 900 and no problems in watching dvd's also with great picture quality.
the diference from ati is that ati requires a less powerfull processor for watching mpeg-2(dvd).

AppleTalking

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2000
My 3D Prophet 4500 is excellent at playing DVDs, as good or better than any stand-alone DVD player that I've seen. I've watched plenty of different movies (including high-speed action movies like MI:2, Bond movies, and others with plenty of explosions, car chases, etc.) and have never seen any dropped frames, slowed playback, jagged lines, etc.. This is on an Epox 8K7A with a 1.2GHz. processor.

Nick

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
ATi is definitely the best of the three for DVD playback, but they Kyro 2 is surprisingly good. Better then the GF2 for DVD IMHO.

TheBlindMan

Jun 8, 2001
Thanks for the info folks, I've pretty much ruled out the GF 2 (which I was so hot for a few weeks ago). I never intended to have a DVD player (till I saw the slot load and had to have it) and now I'm trying to absorb and digest as much 2D info as possible :confused:. Kinda funny isn't it?

'See' ya later :cool:.