DVD Burning issues

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Three years ago, I purchased a Plextor PX-504A, which came with a free
copy of Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 DVD Edition. Yesterday was the first time I
attempted to burn a DVD.

Our wedding photographer sent our wedding images on a DVD, and my wife and I
attempted last night to create a back-up copy of this DVD.

Initially we attempted a DVD to DVD copy from my Sony DVD-ROM to the Plextor
PX-504A. Easy CD Creator gave me an error message stating that the "Source and
Destination are Incompatible."

I then tried moving the images to my hard drive, and burning them directly to a
blank DVD from my hard drive using Easy CD Creator. I once again received an
error message stating that Easy CD Creator did not recognize the blank media. I tried several blank DVD media disks, and encountered the same problems each time.

I am assuming this is either a driver or software version problem. I already
updated the firmware for both my DVD-ROM and Plextor drives.

Were I to upgrade my current copy of Easy CD Creator to version 9.0, would it
resolve this compatibility issue? Or does the problem reside in my Plextor
drive, thereby requiring a hardware upgrade?

Essentially, is this a hardware or software issue?

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
3 years and youve never tried to burn a dvd? :p

Anyways. Its hard to fix an issue like this over the internet. It could be something is wrong with the laser by now, 3 years is a while.

Second. My initial thought is, probably software related. What OS are you using as well? Is this an non-updated version of EASy CD Creator from 3 years ago as well?

Id probably recommend not to use EASY CD Creator. Upgrading to latest version may fix your issues. It is hard to say. I can say, myself, Id never ever use that program to burn any dvds. :) Im not sure what are the more recent dvd burning progs but, I use a program called RecordNowMax. It is an older program by Stomp, but it works great. Burned over 500-1000 dvds with it. It is an oldschool program that many experienced users used to use because of its reliability. I doubt many people use it anymore. :p Im not sure what other programs I could recommend since I do not use any others.

Also id probably suggest not trying to copy a disc directly from another drive. Always try to image to HD first, then copy. I find you can avoid possible issues that way.

What type of media are you using? It sounds like you tried different types of blank discs, so most likely media is not the issue. ALthough if they are low quality types of media, it could be.

On the bright side of this, you can get a high quality pioneer dvd burner lately for around $30. So at least a possible fix for this issue is only having to spend $30-$40 on a new burner.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
You can also try CdBurnerXP Pro. This is a freeware program for burning CDs and DVDs, and has usually served me well. Just google for it and download it. It's completely free, not a demo or shareware.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Well I figured it out. Plextor tech support wrote me back and specified that the 504A only supports DVD+R and DVD+RW. The discs I tried previously may have been DVD-R.

I found the DVD+R that came with my Plextor drive, and sure enough, it worked just find with the bundled Roxio software.

Thanks for the tips though...I may look into finding shareware DVD burning software that is a bit more robust than Easy CD Creator.

I actually used Nero back in the day when it first came out for CD-R and CD-RW...just decided to go with Roxio because it was bundled with my DVD writer...may download the Nero demo and switch back if I find it works better.

Just out of curiosity...is there a noticeable difference in quality between a DVD+R and DVD-R...or is it just a question of format flavors? If DVD-R is superior, I may decide to upgrade my DVD burner, as I have a VHS to DVD conversion project on the horizon.