DVD-9 to DVD-5

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I'm starting to get a nice collection of DVDs I've made copies, backups of, but all I have used in the past for my tools of the trade is DVD-Shrink and DVD-Decrypter.

My TV doesn't have rca jacks in it, so I have to plug the DVD player into our VCR, to get it working, so I know there can be a loss of quality this way.

But I'm starting to notice using DVD-Shrink, that the contrast seems to be off, or at least I think it is, still trying to figure out if it's my imagination, LOL.

It just seems like all the copies made with it, have bad contrast, things are darker, at least it seems this way.

I know DVD-Shrink has a higher quality setting on it, but I never bothered to mess with it.

All I want is a simple program like these, that makes great copies from DVD-9 to DVD-5, any other suggestions?

P.S. Can't wait till the price in dual layer DVD blanks to go down, because I have a dual layer burner.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
What you want is a good encoder, not an okayish transcoder like Shrink.

I use DVD Rebuilder + Cinema Craft Encoder

See link in sig for DVD-RB.

Even the freeware HC encoder that comes with the free version of DVD-RB is much better than Shrink.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Yeah I've been seeing now that DVD Rebuilder is better. Cinema Craft Encoder, good stuff yeah, at least so I hear?

I'm just doing some home backups is all, what's good enough for CCE?

THANKS

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I thought AviSynth came with the free one, but i must be thinking of the pro version.

You could just download the pro one, & during the install, it will prompt you to install AviSynth (it's packaged with pro).

Then you have it installed, & it will work with the free version :)

HC encoder is actually very good if you can't find CCE.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Ok I started doing it up, first I used DVD decrypter to rip the dvd, then I used DVD Rebuilder with all the default settings and HC as the encoder.

After it was done I used Nero to make, burn a DVD.

In Nero it gave me these errors:

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen26xc.jpg
http://img63.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen7bx.jpg

What is with this, VOBs, not belonging to the corresponding, and then files rellocation failed and files compliance?

After burning the DVD in Nero I started up VLC and ran it for a few mins. and it seemed to play ok.

So what happened here?

THANKS

ubercaffeinated

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2002
I get that often too when using Nero. Don't worry about it.

but yea dvd-rb pro + cce basic (or sp if you can afford it). hc encoder is good too i've heard.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: DasFox
I found CCE, LOL, but for now, I'm just using HC. Here it is in action for KingKong:

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen0on.jpg

52% and two hours later, boy this better be good for all the time it takes, LOL, I can't wait to watch it and see how nice it is. :)

ALOHA

Yeah, those errors are a bit weird.
I believe they're due to how the DVD is ripped, not the encoding.

It'll still play fine though, no worries.

As for speed, it's not fast.
It's not designed to be.
It's designed to provide superior quality, & that it does.

I usually do the encoding over night, or i set up up multiple jobs via the batch encoding option.

With CCE, i do 5 passes, some do up to 9 passes, so yeah, it takes a while.

But take King Kong, for example, like you're doing.

I backed up my copy @ 49%, yet i can't tell the difference between it & the original :D

No other program will give that kind of quality :)

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: n7
Originally posted by: DasFox
I found CCE, LOL, but for now, I'm just using HC. Here it is in action for KingKong:

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen0on.jpg

52% and two hours later, boy this better be good for all the time it takes, LOL, I can't wait to watch it and see how nice it is. :)

ALOHA

Yeah, those errors are a bit weird.
I believe they're due to how the DVD is ripped, not the encoding.

It'll still play fine though, no worries.

As for speed, it's not fast.
It's not designed to be.
It's designed to provide superior quality, & that it does.

I usually do the encoding over night, or i set up up multiple jobs via the batch encoding option.

With CCE, i do 5 passes, some do up to 9 passes, so yeah, it takes a while.

But take King Kong, for example, like you're doing.

I backed up my copy @ 49%, yet i can't tell the difference between it & the original :D

No other program will give that kind of quality :)

It depends on the type of display your using. I view my movies using an upconverting DVD player outputing 1080i to a large screen HDTV. I can almost always easily tell the difference, Especailly on a movie as long as King Kong which requires such heavy compression. Thats one of the movies movie I'd recommend just getting a dual layer DVD-R disc and burning a full copy of.

As for the Nero problems. To avoid the NERO headaches its much better to use IMG Tools Classic 0.91.7 to create a perfect disk Image from TS folders. IMG tools is fool proof, unlike Nero it wont let you muck with the settings and screw up the image even if you wanted to. Then you use whatever program you like to burn the Image (IMGBURN,Decrypter etc)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Nero Recode 2!!!!
damned if I can tell its compressed, and I keep all goodies, including both DTS and DD and all extras, main title gets compressed quite a bit and can't tell at all. doing a direct copy from dvd and burning to DVD-5 has great results. Seriously, don't under estimate it. I haven't had any problems yet and have never seen any artifacts and color seems excellent.

I always select 2 pass and high quality

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Nero Recode is basically just an updated version of DVD Shrink. They are both written by the same person.

Recode/DVD Shrink - Transcoder
CCE- Encoder

Encoders are far superior than transcoders which is one of the many reasons that DVDRB+CCE gives much better results than any of the consumer DVD compression utilities.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
So do you guys first rip the DVD onto the hard drive using say DVD Decrypter then use CCE to encode then use DVD Re-Builder to make and burn the DVD or is there a different order to do things??

Or are you actually able to use CCE from within DVD Rebuilder??

ta8689

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2006
DVD Cloner 3... absolutely the best i have ever used. Full move with all menus etc. Super easy. choose how you want it copied (dvd9 ro dvd5, dvd9 to DL etc...) then press copy. VERY SIMPLE AND EASY!!!

ubercaffeinated

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: thilan29
So do you guys first rip the DVD onto the hard drive using say DVD Decrypter then use CCE to encode then use DVD Re-Builder to make and burn the DVD or is there a different order to do things??

Or are you actually able to use CCE from within DVD Rebuilder??

dvd rebuilder was actually first designed to make a so called "1 click" solution to re-encoding dvd's using CCE. it has since evolved to becoming WAY better. i don't know why anyone would bother transcoding when they can completely reencode using a commercial grade encoder.

so basically, take a dvd you own, copy it to the hdd using dvd decrypter or anydvd if it uses newer protection, and the set dvd-rb to work on it. encoding time is dependent on how many "passes" you put it through. 3 passes are usually more than enough, but i just go ahead and do 9, even though people will say it makes no difference after 3-4 passes.

dvd rebuilder pro is cheap, and the author LISTENS to his users and provides great support. seriously anything else is trash compared to dvdrb + CCE. there is no excuse why anyone would use anything else. none.

i mean your choices are: 1) simple and easy and poop quality, or 2) simple and easy and quality that is second only to the original untouched dvd files.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: ta8689
DVD Cloner 3... absolutely the best i have ever used. Full move with all menus etc. Super easy. choose how you want it copied (dvd9 ro dvd5, dvd9 to DL etc...) then press copy. VERY SIMPLE AND EASY!!!

:confused:

That is merely a transcoder, as is Clone DVD, for example.

Encoders > transcoders by far
That isn't up for debate; it's a fact.

For those who have no patience & don't care about quality & want the DVD9 to DVD5 conversion to take a short time, then sure, use whichever crappy transcoder you wish.

But if you're willing to wait & want the best results, you'll find nothing currently can touch DVD-RB + CCE.

I personally just use DVD Shrink for stuff that's only around 80% compression or better, since it's not too bad.
But for lower than that, DVD-RB is the route i go.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Well someone on the Afterdawn forums told me to use, FixVTS:

http://www.videohelp.com/~FixVTS/

So I ran the rip through it, then put it back in Nero, no more errors, I might start using for the decryption, DVDFab.

Plus I want to buy DVD Rebuilder Pro, from what I see, this is the best for the money and a simple one step, looks like it can't be beat.

makoto00 are you talking about passes in Pro, because I don't see anything in the free version for selecting how many passes you want?

ALOHA

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
CCE is definitely the best in terms of quality. Of course it also takes the most amount of skill and time. But the quality CCE produces is about the best youre gonna get using software based encoding.

For passes: Id recommend doing around 4-5 for faster systems. To be honest, theres only minimal difference after 3-4 passes. If you have a fast computer, might as well do 5-6 but, its not going to improve much. I do 6 passes on all mine because im a picky sob but....it is slightly overkill. Basically if the movie is 3+ hours and youre sticking it on 1 dvd5 disc, you will probably want to make sure you do 5-7 passes. Other than that, 3-5 is plenty for anything around 2 hours.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Ahh ok I was thinking of HC not CCE, ok n7 and modempower, thanks.

By the way, will it hurt the quality of the encode if you are using the computer the whole time it is encoding?

I know it will just slow down the process, but I was wondering if it can have a effect on the quality as well.

THANKS

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Ok cool, also one guy told me he just uses HC, over CCE, because he can't ever tell any difference. Anyhow, it seemed like this guy had done alot of ripping and would know.

I mean how much differences are there and are they really that noticeable?

THANKS

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
You'd really have to try for yourself & form your own conclusion.

I prefer CCE, but the difference seems to be slight.

As for using the PC while encoding, that's the beauty of dual core :D

I love how CCE is multithreaded, so encoding gets done basically twice as fast as it did on my previous single core system, or if i am on the PC doing stuff, e.g., i can set affinity for a game to one core, & the second core to CCE, & still play games etc. :D