Duty charge for ordering something from the USA into Canada ?

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Hey hoping you can help me!

I'm trying to figure out what the duty cost is when bringing stuff from the USA into Canada when ordering online.

Reason being is that I bought something for $33 and got it no problems. Two months later some company called "PBB Logistics" wants GST (Government Sales Tax), PST (Provential Sales Tax), Duty/GST "Disbursement fee" and GST- PBB Services money totalling nearly $11.

I have no problem paying for GST or PST but what about the duty, that is almost 17% of the purchase and then the added PBB fee? Okay I'll pay that too. Is this the regular duty fee? Is it a flat % or what?

I want to order a few hundred dollars of stuff from Amazon.com because, even with tax and exchange its cheaper then Amazon.ca but I'm not sure if that holds true after the duty. Any clue how much duty would be for ~ $300 CAN of purchases?

Perhaps Amazon.com will use Amazon.ca (located near Toronto--Mississauga if I'm not mistaken) to ship me the products thus they will never even go over the border or through customs etc?

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Yep, I hate that dreaded Brokers fees. Especially from PBB they hit you weeks after you get the stuff. I would so love to tell them to fsck off, I didn't ask you be the broker. That's the one reason I try and avoid purchase online from US stores. Free trade was for the big guys, not us.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Yup "brokerage fees" suck

If you can get them to ship USPS the nthey charge PST GST & $5 brokers fee.

Concider yourself lucky......... UPS & Fedex charge $35 fees :Q

Cheers,
Aquaman

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I once shipped a $30something dollar item to a guy in Canada. I didn't declare it a $20 gift or whatever those sly Canadians try to convince unsuspecting Americans to do. The guy emailed back saying he had to pay about $40 (I think)!

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

Depending on the item that you purchase, but you will be charge with 30~40% brokerage fees ++ tax ++ shipping. Therefore, it is cheaper to buy at home. If you live a long the border ++ purchasing large items & willing to drive then it is best to get yourself a US PO box but be careful with your purchases & travels.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman
The brokerage fees that Purolator charged me is $12.95 CAD for a $19.99 USD item, but the shipping fee was over $70.00 CAD for an item that weight less than 1 lbs at 4"x4"x6".

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: lowtech
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman
The brokerage fees that Purolator charged me is $12.95 CAD for a $19.99 USD item, but the shipping fee was over $70.00 CAD for an item that weight less than 1 lbs at 4"x4"x6".

Ouch !

Hrm guess even if I save $50 (instead of paying $350 pay $300) its not worth it cause I'll get reamed with more in duty/fees/BS stuff :'(

I'd still like to know if Amazon.com, for Canadian orders, ships from its Amazon.ca warehouse (near Toronto). I'll call em later I guess that'd be the best bet... if so that'd be kickass :p

Then again someone, somehow, would find a way of ripping me some more money.

nork

Aug 18, 2002
What you need is norks tutorial for shipping!!

Seriously, yes, you have to be careful. I have a US shipping addy as well as Canadian, but i still get a lot of forum stuff sent to my Canadian addy. You have to know the tricks to avoid customs and, worse, customs brokers. There is no duty, and taxes arent too bad, its the customs "fee" and the customs brokers "fee" that kill you!

I got a bill once from a customs broker for over $100, but i never paid it and never heard from the again, so..........

One good thing to put down is the word "gift", there are other tricks of the trade as well. And once you get over a certain dollar amt, you are screwed, simple as that.