DURON questions...

MANKOU

Sep 13, 2000
I am about to buy a Duron 650mhz CPU and I would like to know if they can be overclocked with a golden finger device (I'm an amateur in overclocking).
Recently I read that AMD is planning to "hide" some pins that were giving overclocking abilities. Is this true? Should I run into stores to buy the "older" version?

HecDTec

Aug 16, 2000
There's a few ways that you can get one. Buy one that is already unlocked for you at www.overclockerz.com or buy one and do it yourself. The short of it is (pun) you need to close the open L1 bridges on the cpu. See overclocking AMD Tbirds and Durons at Anandtech.com or Tomshardware.com.

When you do it yourself there is a couple of ways this could be done.

1.)High graphite content lead pencil

2.)Conductive Pen available from electronics store (Radio Shack)

3.)Defroster repair kit from any auto store.

The bridges are really small. I suggest you buy the whole kit Abit KT7 and Duron from www.overclockerz.com done for you. Unless you like to tweak yourself. Go to www.inflowdirect.com for your Alpha PEP66, P6035, P35T $25-$35(suggested)cooling and paste $15 (Arctic Silver suggested).

I recently got the new Gold/Chrome Orb offered at Inflow Direct and it rocks for $16. I'll be keeping tabs on the thread so let me know.

RC

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2000
Which of the three methods for closing the L1 bridge that HecDTec listed is less error prone? I would think the pencil method would be the most forgiving. Any comments?

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
The pencil method may be easier but I prefer the Loctite Defogger Repair for a long term solution. The supplied brush needs to be trimmed quite a lot to make it thinner. The liquid is quick drying, so need to get the job done quickly. The reason I like the stuff is that it is designed to fix defoggers which pull lots of current so it handles the L1 bridges like a breeze.

Healey

Jul 7, 2000
I used whatever pencil with a sharp point was rolling around in the drawer. Worked fine.

RC

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2000
After reading additional posts on various forums I've decided that the pencil approach is not always long lasting. I will use a Silver Conductive Pen with a micro tip.

Cypher

Nov 3, 1999
Yeah, I had to re-'Pencil' mine three times! It would work for a day or so and then revert back to a lower multiplier. Finall went to '3 Stooges' (aka Pep Boys) and bought a rear window defroster repair kit. This stuff is highly conductive, permanent, inexpensive, and readily available! No problems with multipliers since.

Ray