Duron Advice

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
OK, I want to finally replace my k6-2 500 with a Duron system. I really wanted to get it cheap and o/c the best I could out of it (using the pencil method). I was thinking about getting a Duron 700 or 750 in combination with an Abit KT7.

My question is, what's the story with the Duron's overclocking pins. Are they still available if I buy now? Or are most of them gone? Should I play it safe (and much more expensive) and get a higher clocked T-bird?

frastini

May 13, 2000
er, i got a oc'd duron + abit kt7 from ocz... took like 2 weeks or
so for them to send it to me :/

Just dont count on them for tech support. u should already
know what ur gunna need to do interms of voltage tweaking
and using soft cpu to change the multiplier (not hard).

onething they dont mention is

1) what cooler they used in the testing (i mailed them, never got a response)
2) that they do not include a cooler with the combo. (which) was a pain int he ass because i really dont have any idea what socket coolers fit the kt7 and ended up ordering one that wouldnt clear the capacitors (pep66)

so make sure u get a good aftermarket socket A cooler, i heard global win fop32, and alpha 6035's are good

good luck.

psykohog

Aug 15, 2000
I just got my duron 600@850 from overclockerz store last week. The only problem i had with my order was that it took a week to receive it because they were backed up on orders. I would definitely order from then again.

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
Thanks guys. I was wondering if those OCZ combos came with coolers or not. I guess I got my answer now. However, I'm a still a little unsure about this OCZ store. Do you think I would get a faster ship time if I simply got an unlocked CPU, instead of one that was pretested, and did all the work myself?

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
I'd just get your own chip.

"Pretested" at ocz pretty much means that it worked. Most durons are the same and if you really feel like you need a new one, just throw it on egay and buy a new one. You might lose a few $$, if not MAKE money off ehay, so just try again and still be better off, time and money wise, than if you bought from an overclockin' store.

Kracker

May 15, 2000
Shudder is right. I work for a parts supplier, and I have had my hands on around 5 600Mhz Durons, and all of them overclocked to 900Mhz and even higher with upping the external clock. Same holds true for the 700Mhz parts. I have been running a 700Mhz @997Mhz for a month now with no problems. I have not come across a Duron that couldnt be overclocked at least 30 percent.

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
OK, I know that the Durons are great overclockers. My only concern is what AMD is doing to prevent the overclock. Has anyone run across any Durons with the pins gone yet? I just want to make sure that if I go with a cheap chip, I'm going to get one that has the potential to overclock.

HecDTec

Aug 16, 2000
Until Durons with missing pins is all an urban legend. Those pins are used to tell the Mobo what speed it needs to run. What will the Mobo due without them. Buy one and close the bridges with a Conductive pen or I hear a Defroster repair kit could be used. Not sure how though. Read my signature and see how much you can overclock a duron. I had a Gold Orb and couldn't post past 900Mhz, changed to a chrome orb and got to 997Mhz (1Ghz). I could imagine what a Alpha 6035 or GlobalWin FOP 32-1 or FOP 38(New) would take me. I acquired my Duron with L1 bridge intact very early in the introduction of the Chip and bought it for $143 at the time. Still I don't have to fool with any bridges. Good Luck!

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
Who knows what AMD is going to do to try to curb overclocking.

The "problem" AMD is faced with is probably the ease that they can make Durons. If you think about it. Durons and Tbirds are essentially the same, the Tbird havign more cache. Given the added complexity of the Tbird, it should be a easy to figure that the yield rate would be higher on a Duron.

And since they are essentially the same core, are you trying to tell me that a more SIMPLE chip can only go 6-700 while a more complex one with more heat can go 1.1 gig?

The fact of the matter is this, or so I think :) AMD simply cannot make their "low end" chips bad enough. If they could get their Tbirds up to 1.5 gig right now, I bet all the current durons could easily be sold as 8-900's by AMD. The core is simply that good. There's just too much evidence from what people are oc'ing to to show that the Duron core is drastically worse than the Tbird.

Doh, I step away from my PC for an hour and I see this thread here. Go AMD :)

sleepdragon

Golden Member
Oct 27, 1999
Shudder,

Duron and T-bird might look similar...but they are not like coppermine p3 and c2 at all....as matter of fact...duron and t-bird are complete different cpu...they only share the same design...and they are produced in different production line...as opposite to c2 and p3...

T-Birds that can do 1.1gb typically are blue t-bird..which means they are copper base...most of the green one can only go to 950...some rare exceptions...but not many...

durons are green...and most of them can do 900...some even 1gb...anyway..
i also don't think it's worth the extra buck just go get the pre-tested...i have played with a few duron and t-bird...and all of them oc extremely well...right now i am running a blue t-bird 750 at 1100/1.85v..

gplracer

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2000
I have two week 29 durons that will only do 850mhz. What could be my problem?
abit kt7
alpha pal6035
voodoo 5
antec 300 watt power supply
mushkin pc 133 222 ram

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is escd?

tigger80

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
i'm a bit pissed with overclockerz store. i got two cpus from them which were suppose to be tbird 750, but one end up being a 700. I got the unlocked ones that are not pretested. the 750 was a blue meanie that overclocked to well over 1ghz and the other was a tbird 700 at 900mhz. I wouldn't buy from them again until they get their act together.