Duron 750. Temperature Problems.

Harish

Jun 5, 2001
Hey everyone,

Now I went out and got a new system.
here my config:

Duron 750 Mhz w/the supplied heatsink and fan (some coolmaster or something)
ASUS A7V
128MB SDRAM PC100.

Now the temperature are like this:
Room Temp: ~32C
Motherboard: ~32C
CPU: ~44C Idle!!
and if i start playing games it goes on till about 53C and then my computer hangs.

I have taken off the thermal pad from the heatsink and am using Arctic Silver. The contact is perfect. I know this combo of Heatsink and fan isnt great but its what came with the processor so i am assuming that it should alteast work stable at the designated temp.

Thanks.. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. (I even put an extra fan in the system and the case is open.

thanks.
harish.

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
44c idle on an a7v isnt really that high, asus probe tends to show temps about 5-10c higher then most other motherboards (asus probe is probably more accurate then the others)

still as you know your system shouldnt be freezing up, even with a sucky heatsink
what is the core voltage set at? and what does it read in asus probe?

Harish

Jun 5, 2001
Well these reading arent from the ASUS Probe they have from MBM ver 5.0 The core voltage is at 1.55. hmm I have no idea whats going wrong.

thanks,
Harish.

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
do you have your PM enabled? i just pmed you then i saw that maybe you wont get it

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
ill sum up here :)

first asus probe is a great utility, and using mbm5 on asus boards still show the same temp asus probe shows (i belive, i could be wrong)

second i thought default core voltage for duron 750's was 1.60 (that might be the problem0

third get a good heatsink/fan (if you dont already have one) $25 total if you buy online

fourth make sure you have good case ventilation. a rear case fan right below the powersupply blowing the air out of the case (from around the cpu)

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
hehehe i still cant reply to you with PM cause yours isnt enabled

but to answer your question on the asus a7v its done on the motherboard itself with jumpers, 4 jumpers kinda between the cpu and the agp slot near the edge of the board, the manual says where they need to be set for each voltage setting.

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
With how high your ambient (room temp) is your fine, if your ambient was in the mid 20's, then your processor would drop almost exactly the same amount.