Duron 600 bizarre...

TheKidd

Aug 21, 2000
I got a Duron 600 pretested to run at 1ghz with an ASUS A7v, but it has been doing some very bizarre things since I got it...Even at the default speed and voltage Windows stalls in startup for nearly 2 minutes, and then for no apparent reason it finishes starting up, I cannot figure out any possible reason for this problem. Another problem is that even at the stock speed the ASUS probe reports the cpu temp at 48C. I have a fop-32 hsf and I am almost positive it is installed properly, when I feel the heat sink it is slightly warm to the touch but nowhere near 48C. Finally, I had the system working fine at 800 at 1.75v for a couple days (I'm trying to ease it up to a ghz,) but for some reason, this evening Windows would not boot up at 800 except to safe mode, I would get Windows protection errors and the like. I suppose increasing the voltage might help...Also, does anyone know how to increase the voltage past 1.85 (this is as high as the jumper settings go in the documentation.) Thanks for any help, sorry for the poor quality of the writing in the post.

jinsonxu

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Even at the default speed and voltage Windows stalls in startup for nearly 2 minutes, and then for no apparent reason it finishes starting up, I cannot figure out any possible reason for this problem. Another problem is that even at the stock speed the ASUS probe reports the cpu temp at 48C. I have a fop-32 hsf and I am almost positive it is installed properly, when I feel the heat sink it is slightly warm to the touch but nowhere near 48C.

The stall is the loading of the Promise ATA100 Controller. If you've not got an ATA100 Hardisk, download bios version 1.004 and disable it. Then uninstall the Windows driver for that 'PCI Mass Storage Controller'. Now my startup is only 12 seconds.

CPU at 48 degrees Celcius when using GlobalWin FOP32 is perfectly correct. Cause my Duron at 700Mhz is 49-49 degrees C. At 1Ghz, it reaches 55 degrees C. As for using your sense of touch to determine the temperature, i suggest you look up hte physics textbook on thermal transfer hehe j/k. It's not accurate! (Your sense of touch i mean)
Besides, the temperature probe (if you've the 1.02 version of the A7V is measuring pretty accurately as it's installed on the base of the CPU Socket. The reason why the heatsink isn't as hot as you think it should be is because there's a fan blowing on it, dissipating the heat away at the base of the heatsink.

If you want to really warm your hands, switch off the computer and then touch the heatsink, the heatsink should be hot now since the fan's not on.

Increasing the voltage past 1.85V is possible, you have to go get a 24K resistor and attach it somewhere. I forgot the exact procedure. But going past 1.85V isn't gonna be very healthy for your chip.

jinsonxu

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
This trick is quite simple. First you need to locate CS5322 A/D Converter Chipset near the Socket A. Then you Just add 24k resistor between resistor and condensator. Now when you adjust Vcore with jumpers, the Vcore voltage is actually little higher than you adjusted. Below is a table showing the real Vcore.