Duron 1 GHz vs. Celeron 1.3 GHz

Renegade23216

Apr 30, 2003
Can someone tell me which is faster, and how much faster it is? I know they don't make good web server processors, but I'm looking into one for a web server. The Duron is $10/mo less. Would you recommend it, or is the $10 extra bucks per month worth the Celeron 1.3 GHz. Thanks.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Get an Athlon XP 1700 for $42, the performance it offers vs. those two is truely worth it.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
The celery then, it should be Pentium III-Tualatin based which is quite fast.

xenos500

Jul 22, 2003
celeron 1300 IS a tualatin core CPU, its actually one of my favorite celeron cpus! that should have 256KB L2 cache. whereas the duron is 64KB, which is a joke. Plus the tualatin celeron puts out way less heat. I have both a duron 950 and a ceron tualatin 1100. the intel runs at 90deg and the AMD runs at 136deg. In the same cases with identical fans and at idle.

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
xenos500: remember that your 950mhz duron is based on the spitfire core, and the 1ghz duron he is asking about is based on the newer morgan core (the morgan is both cooler and faster then an equal clock speed spitfire)

as for performace they are probably pretty comparable

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
i couldnt find a comparison that included the 1ghz duron and the 1.3ghz celeron

but here is the closest thing i could find (at least the closest thing i could find in just the couple min i spend :) )
link

its a comparison at toms hardware that includes the 1.3 ghz duron and the 1.3ghz celeron... the duron consistently beats the celeron, but not by a huge margin. making me think a 1ghz duron would be pretty even with the 1.3ghz celeron

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
A 1.3 Ghz celeron is a Tualatin, which has the 256K of L2 cache. This means that it is essentially a P3 at 1.3 Ghz. It is a much faster CPU than the 1 GHz duron. The only problem (with both) is that they run on crappy 100 MHz FSB's, which hold both chips back (particularly on the Celeron in this case), but that's life...

I'd probably go for the Celery myself...

sc0tty8

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2001
You do not need much to runa web server, I got a firned that runs one off of a 486/33 computer.

If ya got access to the system, I say take a pencil to the L1 bridges, and bring the fsb to 133, it will be much faster with the 133 bus, and the pencil allows you to change the multi:)

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Boonesmi

but here is the closest thing i could find (at least the closest thing i could find in just the couple min i spend :) )
link

its a comparison at toms hardware that includes the 1.3 ghz duron and the 1.3ghz celeron... the duron consistently beats the celeron, but not by a huge margin. making me think a 1ghz duron would be pretty even with the 1.3ghz celeron

Is that a new math?

:confused:

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: SinfulWeeper
Originally posted by: Boonesmi

link

Is that a new math?

:confused:
the 1ghz duron and the 1.3ghz duron are the same cpu, just different clock speed. this makes it very easy to predict how the 1ghz duron will compare to the 1.3ghz duron (making the 1ghz duron about 10% slower) and the 1.3ghz celeron was also about 10% slower...

so yeah
making me think a 1ghz duron would be pretty even with the 1.3ghz celeron
doesnt seem to far fetched :)

and no its not exact math, hehe its far from it :)

Aenslead

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2001
Get the Duron. It has much more bandwith, since it has a 200DDR FSB, also, there are motherboards with DDR support for Duron, whereas no Celeron support for such memory.

You might even wish to get an nFroce 2 400 board, pair it with your Duron @ 1Ghz, any 266DDR memory, and I can bet my rig it will smoke any possible Celeron config... plus, more I/O bandiwth thanks to the advanced transfer protocols of new motherboards, let it be from VIA or nVidia.

The socket 370 architecture has not gotten any update since P4 appeared.

skrjones

Aug 16, 2003
Also the 64Kb L2 cache on board the Duron is an extension of the 128Kb L1 cache as is found in the Athlon so you have a total of 192Kb of usable cache.

The Celeron has 128Kb L2 cache but the CPU will not use it in conjunction with the L1 cache IIRC.

For my money I would go for a Duron (espec at $10 a month cheaper), but thats just me. At least the Socket A mobo you will have will allow an upgrade in the future, if you have one that has an option of a 133Mhz FSB.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Lyfer
Get an Athlon XP 1700 for $42, the performance it offers vs. those two is truely worth it.

I agree, get this CPU and if you cant get the Duron. It's got more IPC and a drastically more powerful FPU then the Celery.

-Por

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
there are motherboards with DDR support for Duron, whereas no Celeron support for such memory.

nope via chipsets are available, but they are still stuck with 100fsb. Personally I would get a 1.0a celeron and remove the bsel 0 pin and run it at 1.333

xenos500

Jul 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Mingon
there are motherboards with DDR support for Duron, whereas no Celeron support for such memory.

nope via chipsets are available, but they are still stuck with 100fsb. Personally I would get a 1.0a celeron and remove the bsel 0 pin and run it at 1.333

What does removing the "bsel 0 pin" do? and what socket 370 CPUs will this work on?

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
the bsel 0 pin controls the default frequency on p3, p4 and amd pins, insulate or remove the pin and you have a 133fsb part rather than a 100mhz part. The cpu must be capable of overclocking that far, but the 1.0a celeron has no problems

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
hehe. Guys, keep in mind this is a webserver he's renting and probably won't ever actually see. I'd say go with the duron unless the company gives you other specs that would change your mind(I.E. do the 2 different systems have different amounts of RAM, Does one have a RAID array etc.).

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: aka1nas
hehe. Guys, keep in mind this is a webserver he's renting and probably won't ever actually see. I'd say go with the duron unless the company gives you other specs that would change your mind(I.E. do the 2 different systems have different amounts of RAM, Does one have a RAID array etc.).

It's funny how so many people don't even read the first post before giving their oppinion. They automaticaly assume he is building a new system and whant's to know what cpu to built it around.