dunlop tires.. any good?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by larciel, Jun 14, 2003.

1. larciel

larciel Diamond Member

i got big-o-tire right now on accord coupe... the guy offered me $500 for 4 dunlop tires, size 225-45-17.. is dunlop any good?

2. syberscott

syberscott Senior member

I had 235 Dunlop GT-Qualifiers on my Grand-Am and they were horrible. They were always spinning and they had no traction in the rain. For such a wide tire I couldn't believe how little traction they had. Now I have 215 Michelin tires and they are waaay better.

*Edit, I have Michelin tires now, not BF-Goodrich (I had those on my truck).

3. feralkid

feralkid Lifer

It really depends on the tire model; some Dunlops are terrific, others not so.

4. EngenZerO

EngenZerO Diamond Member

I have some dunlops on my z28 and they get great traction in wet wheater. I would buy another pair if I had to. You should also look into michellin(sp) and pirelli.

5. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Ummmm...ALL wide tires suck in the rain. Wide tires are like ski's in rain and snow.

6. Pepsi90919

Pepsi90919 Banned

my dad's 1974 jaguar recommended dunlop tires OE.

7. syberscott

syberscott Senior member

That's a pretty uninformed statement. Not all wide tires suck in the rain.
    And BTW, the Dunlops had horrible traction in dry weather too.

8. Freejack2

Freejack2 Diamond Member

Most factory tires have 3 things in mind. Gas mileage, noise, and cost. Things like handling come last.

Take my last 2 cars. First one came Firestone Firehawks. They were ok, they still left much to be desired in wet weather and even in dry weather handling could be better. When those wore out I got the Firestone SH30's with the Uni-T. Talk about a massive improvement. Dry weather handling was amazing and wet weather handling almost felt like dry weather handling.

This car had Firestone Affinity's on it. Ok wet weather handling but crappy dry weather handling. Got the Bridgestone Potenza RE-950's with the second generation Uni-T. Talk about night and day. The car handles like a sports car with these tires.

Anyways the point of all this is if it's a tire they put on a car from the factory, RUN AWAY! They suck. If it's one that doesn't come factory on cars, look at it closely. You'll find some really good tires.

9. FacelessNobody

FacelessNobody Senior member

Freejack, I have those Bridgestones too, they kick ass. Prior to that I had Dunlop tires (D650 A2 I think was the model name. It was top rated on tirerack.com). I hated those Dunlops, but still they're better than brands like Firestone and Futura. Poor treadwear on my Dunlops.

10. isekii

isekii Lifer

Bridgestones are the only way to go..

I'm running Potenza RE040

11. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

my car theres very few tires available in my wheel size (at tirerack, at least). the dunlop sp sport 3000A and 5000A are some of the only ones other than the OEMs, which are firehawks, and some goodyear eagle nct5's.

12. LS20

LS20 Banned

u cant really generalize on a manufacturer like that because for tires it really all depends on the specific models

i have some dunlop sp sport a2 and theyre ok

13. BDawg

BDawg Lifer

I have the same tires on my Saab. I absolutely love the Potenza RE950s.

14. The_Dude8

The_Dude8 Diamond Member

what is the average life of tires before you u have to replace them? like how many thousand miles can tires take before replacement?

15. vi edit

Super Moderator

Depends on the tire. For a super soft, hi grip tire, maybe 10k-20k miles depending on how much you thrash them. For a harder compound tire with less grip, 40k. For a chunk of concrete on a steel rim with no grip what so ever, up to 80k miles.

16. BDawg

BDawg Lifer

Depends on the tires. If you put the tires that NASCAR uses, they might get you to the grocery store before they need replaced.

Generally, the "sportier" the tire, the lower the treadlife.

17. vi edit

Super Moderator

I'm going to have to check out Bridgestone for my next tires. A very good friend of mine is the manager at a Firestone store.

At cost tires.

Sweeeeeet! :beer::cool:

18. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

I had a set of Dunlop tires on my old Mercury Cougar. They were on super closeout sale for $29 each, and they actually had better grip than the Firestone Firehawks that they replaced.

19. Linux23

Linux23 Lifer

well the OEM Potenza's that came with my 2000 Max sucks monkey balls. they have absolutely no traction when it's dry, and hydroplane like a mother when it's wet. needless to say, when i get back from Vegas, these puppies have to go. if anyone wants a pair, PM me.

20. isekii

isekii Lifer

what size is it ? ?

what model ?

thanks

21. The_Dude8

The_Dude8 Diamond Member

i heard that firestones have lifetime alingment for $139.00 one time fee.

vi_edit, could you ask your friend who is the manager at one firestone, how much does he charges u if you were to get the lifetime alingment?

anyone bought tires from tirerack.com and have it installs at their tires shop? how much does it costs for the installation, disposal fees, balancing fee, etc? what is your experience?

22. vi edit

Super Moderator

I know the "normal" price for lifetime alignment is right around $100. I don't know what kind of a deal he'd cut me on it. The mangers get a couple % cut of that $100, and the rest of it is for labor. There's not many parts associated with the service, so it's almost all labor costs. He's able to cut more deals on parts, than on labor so I don't know what he'd be able to do.

23. Linux23

Linux23 Lifer

i'll shoot you a PM shortly.

24. Freejack2

Freejack2 Diamond Member

Seeing as I'm going to be putting a LOT of miles on my car for work I got the lifetime alignment. One thing to keep in mind is the lifetime alignment is for the life of those tires on your car, not the car's life. When you replace the tires you have to get a new lifetime alignment.

25. WinkOsmosis

WinkOsmosis Banned

I like my Dunlops. FM901. I bought them after much research. They are amazing compared to the old tires, some General crap. I put them to good use scaring passengers with high G turns. $360 for all 4 from Discount Tire.. $400 and something with the warranty and such.