Dungeons of Dredmor

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I have no idea how good/bad these games are, but I can tell you that even if they were free I would probably never, ever bother trying them out. They definitely look like they should be free though.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
1st one looks like garbage. 2nd one reminds of Final Fantasy (the original) and would try it out if it was free.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Sweet, I had totally forgot that Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII came out today

I've heard lots of good things about both games and the combo pack is $2.69 hard to go wrong :D

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got it.
Controls stink as do the control customization options. You are supposed to be able to use your game pad but it never works.

Gameplay on both is sorta fun, but theres not much to combat aside from stacking combos. Its like a watered down version of Dragon Warrior.
In fact if they didnt get permission from Enix I wouldnt be surprised at a lawsuit sometime soon.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I got it.
Controls stink as do the control customization options. You are supposed to be able to use your game pad but it never works.

Gameplay on both is sorta fun, but theres not much to combat aside from stacking combos. Its like a watered down version of Dragon Warrior.
In fact if they didnt get permission from Enix I wouldnt be surprised at a lawsuit sometime soon.

For Breath of Death and Cal of Cthulhu?

They both have been available on the indie market place on xbox live for quite sometime already.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Cthulhu Saves the World is quite good. It's a 90's style console RPG that doesn't take itself too seriously and is well worth a few bucks to anybody who was a fan of those type of games. I recommend starting on a slightly harder difficulty than you normally would, because there is a save anywhere feature that can otherwise lead to the game being a bit too easy.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I got dungeons of dredmor last night and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I consider myself an 'older' gamer having started out playing on an Apple II in the 70s, and this game reminds me of old rogue like RPGs, which it does wonderfully. The crafting mechanic is definitely something from the modern era of gaming. So far it is good, i've been playing it on my G73 laptop and it is great to find a fun game that doesn't require me to hook a gamepad or grab my mouse. For the cost of a starbucks coffee, it's a good purchase.

I like the idea of including a random skill button and the permadeath feature. Some of the descriptions and names are just hilarious.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Dungeons of Dredmor is a much, much easier nethack. It is still fun though. I'm enjoying testing various skill combinations.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Speaking of roguelike games and nethack, where could someone find nethack these days? I wouldnt mind firing it up if only to remind myself how often I died in that damn game.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I got it.

dragon warrior was a watered down version of ultima and i'm fairly certain enix never got permission

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Speaking of roguelike games and nethack, where could someone find nethack these days? I wouldnt mind firing it up if only to remind myself how often I died in that damn game.

alt.org/nethack

Runs really nicely from PuTTy and you can spectate other peoples games. Can play your game from many locations and let the server handle your save.