Dungeon Seige III demo on Steam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bruce0916

Jan 26, 2010
Downloaded and played the PC demo on steam. The screen is terrible and the control of camera is sucks. The story isn’t interesting either. Maybe wait for a bargain for 5 bucks.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Played for just a few minutes the other night, will give it a go at some point. I really liked DS2 but it didn't feel like it at first at any rate, and the combat animations crib pretty heavily off DA2 imo, which I don't mind it was just when I watched the mage attack it was almost deja vu :D

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
Completely SUCKED!!!! Chris Taylor should be kicked in the crotch for serving as an "advisor" to Obsidian on this game. At the same time, Obsidian should have any licenses, contracts, verbal promises, or handshakes pulled for the CRAP they are trying to peddle.

How can these two, given all they have accomplished separately for PC Gaming (Total Annihilation, Fallout Series, Neverwinter Nights, Supreme Commander, Dungeon Siege, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and most of the best RPGs ever) even consider releasing this garbage. Talk about setting PC Gaming and RPGs back about 15 years!

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I just played through the demo (which had a 700MB update on Steam, so it's quite possible it's different now) and I actually thought it wasn't too bad. The controls felt unintuitive but I'm guessing you can remap them and it seemed like the camera was too eager to move. The graphics I thought were pretty good and the combat is kind of like God of War, the dodging/blocking are very interactive. I'm not sure about party management though since you only get one party member at the very end of the demo for a couple minutes. It's also got that Diablo-esque loot appeal, I want to open every chest and smash every barrel just to see what I can get.

Character building is a little convoluted and unclear though. Your character has talents and abilities and stances. Each stance has 3 tiers of 3 abilities which each can be levelled 5 (?) times from two different specialties, essentially allowing you to customize abilities to be more offensive or defensive. These abilities can only be used in their correct stances and I have no idea how you switch out which abilities are bound to 1/2/3. You start with 4 unlocked talents and 6 (?) locked talents, which I can only guess as to how you access, and each talent has 5 (?) ranks which presumably do something but from the talent descriptors it almost sounds as if they don't do anything until you reach 5/5.

I got the hang of it before too long but the first time I levelled up I was pretty confused as to why there were so many screens just to level up.

All in all I thought it was much better than the 'reviews' here made it out to be at least. I think it'll be a fairly fun heavy on the action hack-n-slash, I don't think I'll be buying just yet unless my friends pick it up because I'd love giving multiplayer a shot, but I think I'll get it later.